Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope?

I would be very interested in finding out how one manages to justify (or sneak in the home) expensive audio equipment without having to sell your soul to the Devil? It's quite a challenge for many of us I think. I heard of someone buying a Bel Canto DAC and telling his girlfriend that " Oh it's just a $ 100.00 power conditionner", or whatever. Seem like we need to get creative here if we can pursue this crazy hobby much longer! Regards All...
ampman66
My girlfriend is very understanding since it is my business to have all of the vintage gear in my house, I own a vintage audio website, so she is ok with it, I have also got her into the whole GREAT sounding audio thing by including her when I go and look for stuff sometimes. And she can appreciate great sound as much as I can...Don
In short, I include her. We talked about the $$ other people spend on hobbies, and audio is one thing that both of us can enjoy over a long period of time. I have invited her to help audition equipment w/me, making a dinner date out of it. I always play some music she likes and, after an upgrade or change, make sure she's experiences the sweet spot so she can actually hear what I'm talking about. I am truly blessed. My wife of 20+ years actually gave up the living room so I could effectively turn it into the music room... and we're talking Tympani 4's in a not-so-large area. Plus she could sleep thru a train wreck, so no issue on the volume! TOm G
This is the funniest thread I have ever read. I will read through this more for sure, ha... Well let me put my thoughts and experiences in it. My dad taught me a long time ago that when dealing with a woman, It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. So I've been practicing that for some time now.

-So I buy my audio gear all with cash money and its money she knows nothing of in the first place most of the time.
-Yes I've to waited till dark and go sneaking down the back to the basement where my audio system is to bring in new stuff.
-Yes I've rushed home to get here before her to bring it in a frenzied hurry and trying to get it down stairs as quickly as possible.
-Yes I've changed out equipment in similar lines and it has gone un-noticed.
-Yes I had over $10k worth of Nos tubes that she thought was just cheap like a light bulb.
-Yes I had power cords and cables that if I told her she could do with them what she will, she most likely would've took them to the salvage yard and sold them for the copper value, ha... She didn't know they were thousands of $$$ worth of cords.
-I've done all of this and got away with it until recently when I decided I had to sell off an entire $80k system and replace it with something better and more expensive. She then see's all the checks and money orders coming in for tubes and power cords and cables and stuff and she said oh gees' how much money have you spent on all this stuff and how much is the new one and all. She is cool with it because its not like I'm taking her money and all but she really still don't know what I spent or where the $$ come from.
---The important thing is she really loves the new system much better than she did the old one so I think she has cut me some slack there. I find her going down there much more now just to sit and listen, she never did that before.
Beerdraft,

Your reply has to be one of the more amusing :-) All's well that ends well! My spouse loves BAT gear, too.
Thanks C1ferrari, it is just very funny to read all this stuff. I love the one that said my girl friend don't complain about it much but my wife moans about it. ha... I just think this thread is great...