Simaudio I5 to separates?

I've been considering whether moving from my I5 to separates would be a worthwhile move. While I quite enjoy the sound from the I5, my only complaint would be a slight bloat in the upper bass/lower midrange area. Other than that, I really like its presentation.

That being said, I was quite taken aback upon hearing an all-Ayre system a year ago at the Montreal audio show - it was a full-5 system (ie, KX-5e, VX-5e and CX-5e). It had everything that I like about a high-end system - solid, authoritative bottom end, "you are there" liquid midrange and sparkling highs. The speakers were Sonus Faber Cremonas.

So...would my system take a significant step in that direction by moving to Ayre separates in place of my I5? Or would Sim's separates offer this same type of sound? Or am I going off on a wild goose chase, where I will spend a lot of $$ and not hear a lot of difference without also changing speakers?

Surely the I5 is popular, so if you had one and moved to separates - where did you go and what were the results?

FYI - my speakers are Totem Hawks, cdp is Ayre CX-7e, turntable is a Gyro SE with Graham 2.2 tonearm and Benz L2 cartridge with Sim LP5.3 phono stage.
countingbackwards
Tough call...depends on how bad you really want that magic sound.

My system sounds the best with separates.
Like I said, Charles Hansen says the AX-7e + L-5xe sounds better than the V-5xe + K-5xe (and he's the guy who designs these components). Actually, he said he'd "personally would rather listen to an AX-7e with an L-5xe power line filter than a K-5xe and a V-5xe without one."

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=amp&n=119221

His words, not mine. Best of luck.
I had the I-5 and switched to Pathos Classic hybrid int amp. I compared them side by side and preferred the Pathos for bigger soundstage, better high and mid, but I preferred the Sim for the low end.
If you don't now have the amp on a good isolation platform I would do that before anything else. I am using a Star Sound Rack and it made a tremendous difference. I saw some of their Sistrum platforms on Audiogon very reasonably priced recently. I would try one of these or a comparable product before I changed anything. You will not be out anything as you can use it under whatever you end up with.
IMO your bass bloat is probably from your speakers, the speaker placement, or room anomalies --- not the I5.

try moving speakers around before spending lots of $$.

sounds like you may want a gear change for sweeter mids and highs tho.