Minimax or Audio Research SP 9 mk III ?

Budget is $600 for tube preamp. Looking to add some body and dynamics to the music.

Recently downsized from MWI 9.0 SE Signature and MWI 9100es.

System is Sony PSP 1, Red Wine 30.2 integrated and Vandersteen 2ce Signatures with Clear Day Silver Biwire speaker cables.

thanks

Ken
georgia2k
I owned an ARC SP-9 for a few years and one thing that did warm it up some was the use of brass tube anchors from Mapleshade. I also tried some NOS tubes that I felt made a difference. The ARC unit is a very musical preamp and is worth the extra effort in my oppinion.
Be careful with the SP 9 mk III, I owned it and kept it for less than a week before I got rid of it. It was woefully too thin sounding....too anemic for me.
Agreed, the AR 9 Mk II is thin sounding and lacks dynamics, not one of AR's better offerings. NOS tubes won't give it sufficient body, the SS circuitry dominates any tube swaps.
Ken,......I noticed you mentioned a Sony PSP in your system. How do you configure it to play music in your system? I own a PSP and never looked beyond the gaming capabilities.

...thanks.....

...mitch
I agree with Mitch (and most of the rest.) I had an sp II and hated it. Had it for about 4 days. Thin sounding junk. Buy anything but.

With your budget, also check out the space tech offerings.