Running a fan to cool amplifier any ill effects?

I have two mono blocks....VAC 140's and have installed whisper fans above the transformer(s) housing. The fans aren't directly blowing on the 8 300B tubes...but they will be running cooler as air will be circulating around them. I installed the fans because the metal housing would become hot(125deg+ I would guess)and I personaly would prefer to cool it down. Kevin Hayes says this is normal for that amp. Do tubes need the heat to perform better or is some cooling ok...and have no effect?? on the sound quality. I am looking for some informed opinions....any would be appreciated.

Also the air will not enter the vents so no dust will deposit inside the amplifiers.
wavetrader
First of all, nice system Wavetrader!
Now, I currently am using a VAC Avatar Super integrated amp. It only has 2 inches of clearance on the top. Even though my rack is an open air architechure design, there was still too much heat up top. So I tried several fans, and settled on the quietest one I've heard. When there is no music playing and even in very quiet passages, I can hear the fan from my listening spot. However, during 99.8% of the listening, I am totally unaware of the fans presence.

Sure, I could go to SS and get dead silence.......however, then the music would leave with it. I love the musicality of tubes. I've owned almost all of the top high end SS components, and yes, they were quieter. However, they did not play music like tubes. So I have become accustomed to tube music....even if it is a bit noisier....it's still music!

Cheers,
John
John what fan did you finally chose?
Does any one know of a rack fan that runs as low as 30db?

Some Mfr don't list the specs.

Thanks,

Mark
Thanks John....it's hard to beat tubes...especially VAC's. I love my modded Accuphase P300 but it's no match for the 300B VAC's....
Mark,

This is the fan I have settled on, for now. It is two speed, and I find that low speed works fine, though I have no specs on this fan. I have tried other fans using a variable speed control. However, as of now I using the clip on fan from Holmes, fixed, no oscillation. It's pretty quiet, and I don't have to deal with that AC slider switch, which was pretty hairy. It also does a very good job of cooling the VAC.

Cheers,
John