Best EL-34 Amps?

Looking for votes/recommendations on the best available EL-34 mono-blocks... I have tired many different amplifiers over the years including 300B's, SET's, EL-84's, 6550's, all manner of solid state (nasty!) and haven't found anything that bests' my VTL-125MB. However, they ain't as young as they used to be and I have always wondered if the magical pair of EL-34 mono-blocks are out there and have just slipped my attention. They must be very quiet, since I use extremely sensitive Klipschorns (104db)...any noise is ruthlessly revealed...
stickman451
hi mint604:

if you believe the el34 is inherently harsh, what output tubes do you consider, spectrally balanced ?

also, how do you explain some of the older cj amps, which used el34s were very warm sounding ?

perhaps the output tube is one of many factors responsible for the performance of an amplifier.
Mrtennis
Conrad-Johnson MV60.....list (years ago) was about $2800. It can be had for around $1700 (SE version which listed for $3800) now on AgoN and you can pick it up yourself (NYC location).

Good luck.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mint604
You are one fanny guy and God in your own mind.

Cheers

Mariusz
Mrtennis, Consonance tube amplifiers in general are extremely good products, from the standpoint of both build and sound quality. Unlike their CD players and solid state or hybrid amplification, I can think of no particular reason not to consider these tube amplifiers, as their track record has been enough to make me feel comfortable.

The sole area of concern I have for the generation of tube amplifiers you are considering is that the bias resistor values seem to be all over the place. By that, I mean, the schematic specifies a certain value, but I've seen three different values present in the various amplifiers that have crossed my path. It seemed as if they were trying to figure it out on the fly. And, 2 of the 3 values, including the schematic, are not the optimal setting, one of them clearly being more than a little bit wrong. What are the downsides of that? Well, in the worst instance, there was a more than noticeable hum. And, in the most minor, the amplifier just ran hotter than it should. Of course, I didn't have the product long enough to know if tube life would be compromised, but we did make sure to retrofit the amp so that it was now correct.

The M400 monoblocks, while quite nice, have been eclipsed sonically by some of their more recent designs. By that, I mean, the refinement, detail, and clarity have been improved, in that tired old "lifting the veils" audiophile cliche. I'll put it this way, that misty/hashy quality is reduced to great extent. However, not at the expense of musicality.

In fact, I find the Cyber 800, which my friend Mariusz (Mrjstark) owns, are without a doubt the best push-pull tube monoblocks they've produced. They have a nice mix of richness/musicality with the clarity and detail that modern amplification must possess. I'll leave power out of the equation, as I'm not sure it is or is not important to you, but they are plenty powerful. One thing I want to throw out there is that the Cyber 800 ARE NOT compatible with 6500/KT88/KT90 (or, JJ's version of the KT77 for that matter), despite some the bad information put out there.

On a more affordable plane, though the Chinese high-end audio companies have completely lost that advantage over the past 2 - 3 years, the 15th Anniversary products (integrated and stereoblock) are the first which I feel offer the realization of putting it all together in a package that doesn't require the commitment of both size and money that their Cyber monoblocks demand. They combine pure Class A operation, large power supply, and superior transformers (supposedly, amorphous, but I've yet to verify it 1000%) which make the Cyber 800 special, with superior coupling caps (AuriCaps, instead of the Cyber 800's Solens), tube rectification (normally, to me a tradeoff of bass for that beautiful midrange, but no tradeoff in this instance), and the owner's (who is the designer) improvements circuitwise (he's really been studying up on the classic American hifi components over the past year or two). On several levels, they are the best tube products Consonance has ever put out.

Regarding the Quicksilver amplifiers, I am certainly a fan. When you buy a product, you're buying a company (that should be a caveat for those considering Consonance), and Quicksilver has certainly earned their sterling reputation. Quicksilver amplifiers are quite nice to begin with, but some owners like to tweak them a bit to really bring them forward. After all, Mike Sanders is building them to an incredible price, which he should be given a tip of the hat for. But, they have a bit more inside of them waiting to come out. The overriding thing is that Quicksilver products certainly earn my recommendation without any hesitation.

But, to answer your question specifically and succinctly, if it were me, I'd probably choose the Quicksilver mid monos over the Consonance M400 monos.

DISCLAIMER: I am the importer/distributor for all Opera Audio/Consonance components in the USA and Canada. And, of course, all of this, beyond the Consonance repair history, which I have statistical information on, is my opinion.
Hello Joe and great to hear your input on this thread.
Of course your description of Consonance Cyber Series and Quicksilver Audio amps is spot on.
In fact, at yesterday's "NY RAVE" (a NY Audiophile monthly meeting) Quicksilver was on the menu as well as Music Reference EL34 based amp (modded), some very nice vintage gear among many others. Audio Physics Virgo, SP Tech Minis, AAD 2001 monitors were speakers of choice in three different setups. Michael Fremer, John Rutan of Audio Connections and Tommy of Digital Amplifier Company were guests and add their knowledge and charisma to the mix.

Music Reference as well as Quicksilver are very nice amps to say the least. Quicksilver being a champ of power while Music Reference had many qualities of the older tube amp qualities ( it was a Special Edition with mods so its stock characteristics were somewhat diminished).

Since my own Consonance Cyber 800 are also modify, I can not be certain how would they stock up to Quicksilver or Music Reference in their stock form.
What I can say is confirmation of Joe's statement that Cyber 800 are probably the best push-pull amp in Consonance line-up.

As to Mrtennis search for amp to suit his preferences (which is reach in color, warmth and typical roll-of in frequencies extremes), I would suggest an older design from CJ stable. That would (in my opinion) be a good starting point. Then you would still have the options to fine-tune the sound to your taste with tube rolling and caps choices.

Jadis EL34 integrated amp is also great and it can be purchased from Jadis directly for less then 3K (demo).
Build, looks and performance is first class.

Mariusz
The design / execution matters more than the tube used.
Good and bad designs exist with all outputs and topologies.