Should I go to a Benchmark DAC1 pre in my system?

The magazine reviews rave about this device. Absolute Sound calls it revolutionary and says it compares very favorably to high end DCS equipment, which I've heard and liked.

How does it stack up against the competition as a pre-amp for both digital and analogue sources and as a DAC?

I believe I could run my Denon CD as a transport and my Roku Soundbridge directly into it, and add a phono-pre and connect my turntable as well. That would cover 99% of my current listening sources. I could also add a music server later via USB when ready.

Should I do it?
128x128mapman
Absolute Sound just lost most if not all their cred if this report is true.Did it ever have any?I don't know.I wonder who reviews magazines?Remember Payola in the 50's?Don't get me started......
Benchmark says their DAC design solves the jitter problem associated with all but the best vendor-integrated transport/DAC/clock systems out there, like DCS in a manner that is independent of transport used.

Absolute Sound seems to agree that they have done this and that it is revolutionary. The cost of entry is low enough to not be a barrier for many, compared to the high end CD playback options out there.

They also say the whole preamp package, including analog input, is very good and neutral sounding and competitive with other more expensive similar designs out there, at least SS. I would not expect a "tubelike" sound from these units at all from what I have read.

There are other positive reviews of the BEnchmark DAC1 pre that I need to read as well.

Does Benchmark really have enough clout to buy positive reviews like these in multiple publications? Wouldn't that tend to push away other high end vendors that might not compete well with something so different and innovative?

Is there really a Benchmark conspiracy at play here or have they maybe just come up with a better and more cost effective way of doing things?

It's won't cost much to find out, I suppose. Resale value on the BEnchmark stuff seems pretty good as well if it doesn't work out.
I own the Benchmark DAC1 USB (not the pre) and have been listening to it for about three months in a computer based system (Mac mini/Itunes/CD collection imported to hard drive-AIFF)and my opinion so far is that it compares favorably to my Linn Ikemi CDP. My main observation is that the presentation is just different, not really better or worse. The Benchmark seems to lack any character of it's own and perhaps that what impressed Robert Greene so much. I have read the review in The Absolute Sound and although I have never heard DCS gear, I do not believe that the Benchmark would compare as favorably as the review indicates.
My opinion is that in the context of your system the Benchmark DAC1 pre would be a very worthwhile addition and would allow you the option of trying the server route as you mention. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed the way I can access my music in this setup.
Benchmark offers a 30 day trial period, so you could try it out in your system which is always the best way to go.
I'm too looking into the DAC1-Pre.
The question is not whether the DAC is good but how good is the preamp section or the DAC1-Pre? Would I be better off with the DAC1 USB and a passive preamp...or some other configuration?
I really wish I could audition this gear.
I thought Benchmark had a 30 day.....theres no question its good as its been around now for many months.As usual,the question is"Is it synergistically in tune in my system?"Many say yes,I know I was 48 hrs from one and then I got pulled towards a Bel Canto at the last minute,but I digress....good luck,Bob