Questions about Preamp Tubes

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a preamp (tube and SS). Will the tubes need constant replacement? If yes, then I would rather just use SS preamp to save myself the trouble/cost. My understanding is that it becomes very, very hard to differentiate between tube/SS in high-end products; however, is this the case in lower-end models? Will it still be the case in cheaper/older preamps by Audio Research and Conrad Johnson (those were the ones I was looking at)? Obviously I will try to try any preamp out if possible to test for synergy, but I don't want to consider tube preamps at all if they have the above problem.
freckling
What's your definition of "constant replacement"? Also, how much time each week will you be using the pre?
Peterb is right, although to clock 10000hours or over, you'll need premium types. The pres you mentioned are very well designed. They are anything but tube killers. In my opinion you need not worry but insist, should you buy, that the tubes are in good working order and not noisy in the critical places. A bit of tube rush is normal, but it should not interfere with your listening pleasure, even in very soft passages of music.