What is the best tube preamp currently available?

Folks - It seems my Golden Tube Audio SEP-3 is finally dead and no support or schematics is available in the entire industry. I am forced to consider a new preamp. I am spoiled with its wonderful tube quality and thought you folks would be the perfect forum to start this research for the perfect replacement. I am primarily stereo based, but would consider an A/V tube preamp, if within my budget. I look forward to your recommendations.
Thanks in advance! - Bill
billfields
There is "no best".
System synergy. Personal preferences/taste. Features/cosmetics/reliability/costumer support.
It all matters.
I could have told you what I think is the "best preamp" in my opinion but it doesn't mean "Jack"...now does it ????
Check out the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A. The Modulus 3 has been the cornerstone of my system for the past 15 years. I have NEVER felt the need to upgrade. It has an extremely quiet phono preamp and uses only 4 6922 tubers or varient.

The preamp has 5 line level inputs, a tape loop, phono input and 2 sets of outputs for biamping. With the outboard power supply, it's a steal. You can find a used one on this site for as little as 1100.00 In all my years of ownership, it has been very reliable.

Bob
If I'm not being too rude in creating a parallel thread, what do you think would be the best tube-based line stage at about $1500 or less.

What are the opinions around here about Shanling? I'm wondering if their 2-in/1-out HP300 headphone preamp at $399 would make for a good minimalist line stage like the Melos SHA-1 of 12 years ago. Downside: no remote. Upside: 2 headphone jacks.
Sorry, I can't accept that your P/A can't be repaired. On this what have you to loose. My recommendation is to contact Eric Falkenhan (410) 467-3620 , one of the finest persons I know in audio restoration services. If Eric can't fix it nobody on the planet can. Give him a call & tell him Charlie Rehm referred you. All the best.