Integrateds: Warm sounding SS vs Hybrid

I have recently had Bryston B60 and Unison Unico amps. They each had their strengths. Overall I liked the Unico better, its more forward, fuller sound and a wider soundstage, due to its tube preamp. However, I wasn't enamored with the tube hiss I was getting, I realize that there might have been a problem with the amp, but I have read about others having this problem. With no music playing, or very quiet passages in classical music, the hiss could be heard from the listening position6-8 feet away.

I have read reviews of some SS amps where their sound is described as "tube-like".

My questions are:

1) Has anyone who had owned tubed gear heard a SS integrated that sounds like tubes?

2) Was my experience with Unison tube hiss likely due to faulty gear/tubes, etc?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
sandman012
Thanks, John, for your thoughts. I am in a position where its just not feasible for me to make the hour and a half drive back and forth to audition peices, not to mention the better value one gets used on Audiogon.

So I have to rely on word-of-mouth. I just sold my whole system, as while I liked it well enough, I knew it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

I like the idea of the RWA, but new, it is a bit out the price range I was looking toward.
hi john, yes you can classify me as a rwa zealot and i have been mainly posting about the joy they bring to my listening experience every day. ok, this might make me a 'mummy' or 'shill' or what you want to call me, but i have never owned equipment this good for the money and i finally don't think about upgrading my electronics and dont have to worry about the quality of my power coming to my house, power cords, conditioners, and all that stuff - especially in the summer when our power quality suffers with all the air conditioners on the grid. i like vinnie's approach and excellent customer service and i will continue to let others know about my experience and i dont get paid for it . this stuff is giving me a lot of pleasure so it is a pleasure to speak highly of it. RWA offers a 30-day on all their products, so let the end user decide if it is right for them. it may or may not be. this is what i did and i hope others take a look at it too if it is in their budget and if it meets their needs and requirements.

-Nate
The Unison Unico and Pathos are great hybrid integrateds. The SS integrateds that I like is the Audio Analoge.
Hey John,

A fellow skeptic I see. After reading your response my first thought was that you were a shill for some company competing with Red Wine Audio (RWA). Why else would you be trying discredit or silence the RWA crowd? How's that for a conspiracy theory :) I agree with you that there a lot of shills out there trying to capitalize on the latest high-end audio fad. It's unfortunate. I no longer own my RWA 30.2, but I do believe that RWA offers a unique product line at reasonable prices. If you feel the need to provide a public service warning to Audiogon members about potential shills, then by all means, knock yourself out. However, I doubt that there are many Audiogon members blindly making expensive high-end purchases based upon recommendations by some unknown individual on the internet. I could be wrong though. Take care!