Integrateds: Warm sounding SS vs Hybrid

I have recently had Bryston B60 and Unison Unico amps. They each had their strengths. Overall I liked the Unico better, its more forward, fuller sound and a wider soundstage, due to its tube preamp. However, I wasn't enamored with the tube hiss I was getting, I realize that there might have been a problem with the amp, but I have read about others having this problem. With no music playing, or very quiet passages in classical music, the hiss could be heard from the listening position6-8 feet away.

I have read reviews of some SS amps where their sound is described as "tube-like".

My questions are:

1) Has anyone who had owned tubed gear heard a SS integrated that sounds like tubes?

2) Was my experience with Unison tube hiss likely due to faulty gear/tubes, etc?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
sandman012
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I should mention that I would prefer the integrated to have a remote, for volume at least. So the Jungson and the Plinius seem to be best suggestions thus far.

I am reitcent to go all tubes at this point, thus the hybrid seems a good way to go; but there just aren't many hybrid units.

From preliminary resonses, it seems that the Unico should have had that loud a hiss and its tubes or something else was faulty.
How about a BAT VK-300x SE integrated? Hybrid design and remote control, check one out if you can. If the BAT is too pricey, try a Marantz PM11-S1. Not a hybrid, but a good sounding integrated with a remote for less $$$.

Happy hunting,

John
i'll echo jwarmbrand and brawny's suggestions - Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2, and it comes with a remote. you don't even need a hybrid as it already sounds like a fine tube amp but with the bass weight and articulation of the best solid state gear. If you want mix in tubes, add the RWA Isabella preamp, and the built-in dac option is amazing as well! You'll be totally off the grid on battery power, but it might be outside your budget. In that case, a 30.2 integrated will do the trick. with a 30 day trial period you cant go wrong!

Cheers,

Nate
looking at the REd WIne Sig 30.2 .... only one source input? So I couldnt use with both my CD and phono?
Sandman012, you can order the Red Wine Sig 30.2 as an integrated amp, with a volume control, and two inputs on the rear apron. Check the website for pics.

Now, that being said, this thread is starting to scare me. I'm having flashbacks to about three years ago when the D&K integrated mummies were running amok. I don't have any issues with folks enjoying their music, but look into some of the RWA zealots posting history. Natewalker_2006 has responded to 11 threads, and pushed the RWA 30.2 in every single one of them. Jwarmbrand has started one thread and replied to 10 threads, again, every thread was about RWA.

I won't lump Brawny in with the other two, because he seems to be more well rounded, only 2 of his 14 threads mention RWA, and in this one, he also mentioned First Watt's integrated.

Again, I think it's great if you love your audio system. However, what we found out about 3 years ago with the D&K fiasco was that there are also 'shills' that use these message boards to push their products. So be careful how much weight you place on some folks recommendations. Take a look at their history, and see how varied their experience is.

Cheers,
John