Dodd preamp vs. McCormack RLD-1 preamp

I am interested to know if anyone has any experience with both the Dodd battery powered preamp and the Steve McCormack platinum-modded RLD-1 preamp. I am looking to replace my ARC LS3 and both look interesting and in the same relatively affordable price range.

Thanks in advance.
128x128es347
Looks like he selling direct now, and lowered the price to $2,600. I'm not sure what the "returns" experience is for those providing 30-day trials (Placette, Red Wine,etc.) But it seems that dealer sales as a model is at the very least being challenged for 2-channel audio; I've got to believe most are surviving on HT and installations. It seems to me that if your going to sell direct, you can cover "returns" after 30-days as a cost of doing business (should there be damage etc.) with no middle man to take a piece of the pie.
Yeap, he went direct for a while now.. I have just noticed the price adj. Cool, but he should still offer the 30 days in home audition with money back to ease the decision making for those interested in his products.
RWA has no questions asked policy. If you do not like it, just ship it back. No restocking fees , non of that nonsense.

And you are right, 99% of Dodd users ends up keeping it.
As far as I know, only a hand full of Dodds were sold on used market. They usualy sell in a day or two though.
Another Dodd user that I know, sold his piece because he chose to go directly from his CDP to his amps.

Mariusz
Pubul57 what type of amperexes are you trying?

I find the Dodd to be very neutral, with strong dynamics, good at the frequency extremes. My speaker cables and interconnects were all zcable. I actually switched one of the interconnects to a Ram silver interconnect which gave better base definition and overall air around instruments and performers.

Very interested how the amperexes sound compared to the stock JJs.

I'm using the Dodd in conjuntion with Dodd 120's generation 2. Using virtual dynamics nite pc on the 120's and zcable lighting on martinlogan sl3s.
They will be White Label 6922s with the D-Getter (late 50s?)from Andy Bowman at Vintage Tube Services. Should arrive shortly.
Well, what I ended up getting are a matched pair of Amperex 6dj8s from 1958 made in Holland with the "D" getter. All I can say is that any comments about the Dodd must be made with regard to the tubes being used. As good as the Dodd is with the JJs, the Amperexes really take it up a notch in an obvious manner. Smoother, more textured, and much more holographic - in other words fantastic. What is certain is that the Dodd is a SOTA preamp platform for letting whatever tubes you use in it shine. I'm sure there will be debates between the Dodd and RWA contingents, and though I'm a curious audiophile that likes to try equipment more than I should, I'm keeping the Dodd for a while, at least:) At $2,600 (the new lower direct price, was $3,300), this preamp is perfectly capable of taking on much more expensive competitors - many of which I have owned. Try some NOS tubes in this thing, I don't think you will be disappointed.