audiphile power cords

Do upgraded power cords really make a significant difference in sound quality? I have a Jolida 502p that I think sounds pretty good. What do you recommend for a power cord that would make a significant improvement?
al2214
Hi Al2214

I have the same Jolida JD 502P amp that you have. I was using a stock 14 AWG power cord with it at first and then got a Shunyata Venom 3 power cord for about $100. I just had to give it a try as I wouldn't take too much of a hit on resale of that cord. With the Venom 3 in place it was hard for me to notice a difference in sound in my system. I think I've hit the wall with sonic performance for my system. This may vary for you though. With my Jolida I found the adjustment that made the most changes sonically were swapping out the 12AX7 tubes followed by the power tubes.

Audiophile power cords can make a difference as explained by many here but it is very system and user dependent.

If your room hasn't been treated already I'd focus there first before going overboard with tube rolling, power cord swapping or changing ICs and SCs.
I have tried a few brands and gave up when heard some DIY cables a friend of mine is making. To get a good cable that makes your system play MUSIC (not only a power cord) you have to pay a lot of money to get one that is really something. With a good DIY you should get it for much less.
So, my advise is just to consider a DIY cable. Good luck :)
The entire line of Shunyata PC's are designed to reduce the travel of noise and RF which is present in almost every home, and is often created by the gear itself. The negative effect can be subtle or major. Which cable for what spot in your system is really the question. If you don't hear a difference, most likely your system is not worthy of the investment. Most are.
1. yes!
2. You will have to try the various makes/models in order to deterimine the correct 'fit' for your rig.
Happy Listening
Once in a while the stock power cord sounds pretty good and
various aftermarket cords can muck up the sound. It's
happened in my past systems. Some aftermarket power cords
can make very little difference. One problem is that you
can't try every power cord out there. The one that is best
in your system may be out of reach and too pricey, or
totally unknown. Sometimes aftermarket power cords can make
your system sound better. Some can add bass and weight to
the sound, and some take away bass. Some add bass weight and
reduce the highs (this seems typical) but the reverse can
happen too. There's no set answer for what can happen, but
power cords usually alter the sound for better or worse.
Sometimes I feel like I've expected a power cord to make too
big a change. I've learned this is folly. The component
makes the big difference. A good power cord I use is the 8+
by Triode Wire Labs. These come with a 30 day trial period.
If I were starting out in what I call the "power cord
jungle" I would only deal with power cords that have at
least a 30 day trial period, so I could make a return if
necessary. This removes your risk. In various systems over
the years I have owned power cords up to $950 used.