Audio Research REF 3

Dear all ARC REF 3 owners,
I just bought an REF 3 preamp which has replaced my LS25MKII preamp. To be honest i'm little disappointed by the result so far, but i guess tubes have to be replaced. My concern is especially on the sound image which is not precise as my LS25MKII image was.
The number of hours of used displayed by the my REF 3 is 1670 but i realized that hours counter increased only for full hours of used, so i can estimate the number of hours of the tubes inside my REF 3 to be the double i guess.
My question is the following
What do you recommend for tubes replacement and source for the replacement of REF 3 tubes.
I used sovtek, EH gold, and 6H30-DR on my LS25MKII and i was pleased with all those tubes even if i didn't find the DR much better than the 2 other brands.
Thanks in advance
ARCL60
arcl60
I have owned a Ref 3 for a couple of years. The lifespan estimates made by ARC for all tubes as applied in this device are extremely optimistic. The 6550C shows some sag at 900 hrs and usually needs to be replaced by 1100. In my unit the driver tubes had lost their bounce by 1700 hrs. I have tried a couple of different tube variants, but prefer the transparency/clarity/linearity/detail of 6550C and 6H30s supplied by ARC. You will find a good discussion on 6550C alternatives here:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1201144495&openfrom&1&4#1

Before any serious evaluation of your Ref 3, give it fresh tubes and break them in for 100 hrs or so.

G.
I've owned the LS16, LS25, ref 2 and Ref 3...the LS 25 was more musical than any of the other offerings. The 6H50 tube was the last nail in the coffin for ARC...might as well be solid state (not very good SS either). That said, the Ref3 can sound amazing with fresh tubes, a great power cord and musical ancillary equipment.
Yeah, something must be wrong. I moved to the Ref3 from the Ref2 mk2 and the difference was astounding. As Guidocorona said above, get some new tubes before you rush to judgement.

The Ref3 is a monster.

Be sure and report back to us your findings after re-tubing and burn-in.
Mitch what is the difference in sound between the Mark 2 and the Ref 3. If the sound becomes leaner, more dynamic and quieter, I am not interested. The mark 2 is lean enough.
Yes, Ref 3 is much more dynamic and quieter than LS25 Mk2. The old ARC silver-gray sheen is gone completely. The sound is very focused, has loads more authority, and harmonic complexity than LS25 Mk.2. . . . but it is not at all leaner. On the other hand, Ref 3 is in general not an idiosyncratically 'tuby' sounding linestage. . . it is rather linear instead, at least for a tubed device. If anyone were interested in giving their Ref 3 a golden glow, try to put a new production Tungsol 6550 in the power supply. I personally prefer the linearity of the factory supplied SED Winged 6550C. G.