Shall I add a preamp to my setup?

I newly setup a system with Thiel CS 3.7 speaker, driving my Sim audio Titan 5 channel poweramp, source with Simaudio cd5.3, I am very excited with the 2 channel performance, but it seems lack of warmth of vocal and extension of high, not enough airly extensions, base is fine. I doubt my weakest link is the Sherbourn PT-7010A pre/pro, all the above new gear has pretty much break my bank, I wonder if I should squeeze the rest of bank reserve for a descent 2 channel preamp in order to solve the problem.....the other choice is a better CDP, can someone walked thru the similar path give me some advice?
grandetech
Thanks Jim. What is the characteristic of SR cable? Which one is good for a budget say below $1000 used?
Maybe, if you like what your main ic is doing for you, that same thing in a spkr cable will work too. Just a thought.

You've got Theils, right?

if their sensitivity is down around 87 or less I'd say go with a more resolving wire. The Sig 10 x2 active cables I own. They are about right down the middle... neutral... the Res Ref are next up the old ladder, and the accelerators or Vortex seem to be the replacements. The Accelerator is a more edgy wire as an IC... I suspect the same for the spkr cable. Call SR and ask them which might suit you best...

Overall the SR wwires are fun. Colorfully resolving and extended. The active ones are for sure the way to go... sorry. Non active are ok... but with them plugged in, it's way, way better.

Sig 10's and Res Ref x2's are discontinued so they should be less $$$.

Give SR a call.

...and again, the Cable Co. rents out 10ft spkr cables.
Thiels are a great sounding spkr Grandetech and congradulations to you owning the model I listen to's bigger bro. The system components that I've paired up is very close to what sounds like live music at times. The first bit of advice I'd like to give you before any upgrades are made is to invest in picking up Robert Harley's complete guide to hi-end audio if you dont already have it. It's been a critical component and invaluable source of information in my opinion.

Next is to listen to some music, I didnt realize how great digital could sound until I heard it played through VTL and Thiel

Good luck! Chris
I agree that a tube pre is the way to go. Art Audio's VPS would be a great choice and come in under budget. It would give you the beautiful midrange you are looking for along with a great dynamic presentation. Plus you get the best customer service in the industry. Worth looking into.

Blessings Bob
Hi Jim,

Regarding the synergistic r speaker cable you recommended, which one has most warmth of vocal without losing detail in highs? I search a few listing in agon, not knowing the price very well, is there anyone worthed to buy for serious improvement? Email me if you don't want to put it on forum. Thanks.

Richard