What's most important synergy wise???

I have a VK-D5SE CDP as my source, a VK-20 for preamp and MC501 monoblocks.

I am planning to get a better preamp and am considering both the BAT VK-52SE and the McIntosh c500 tube two-piece combo.

The BAT can be upgraded to the REX, has product line synergy with the CDP and allows me to control both the CDP & volume with just one remote.

The McIntosh has product line synergy with the Monoblocks, but forces me to wield two remotes...

Do you think the synergy between the preamp-amp is more important than that between the source-preamp ...Or... is the synergy between the source-preamp, with all the low level signals, more important???

(Or am I worrying over nothing???)
know_talent
I think you should get the preamp you like best and not worry so much with the front-end compatability. The preamp affects the overall sound more on its own terms than the synergy question you raise IMHO. The synergy that is really critical is amp/speaker.
I have used a VK-51SE with MC501's and its a very nice combination. As to your remote issue consider a Logitech remote which will run both fairly well (Mac and BAT equip as well as other stuff etc.)
I'm leaning towards the 52SE as it has better specs, has the remote compatibility and is upgradeable to the REX model if I ever want to go nuts.

How are low listening level dynamics and coloration with the 51SE feeding the MC501's and what kind of speakers are you running?

I'm currently running B&W N803S and will most likely be upgrading to the new 802D
C500T and MC275(s) with my Helicon minimonitors are great combination.

You want details, lush mids, and layers and the C500T will deliver. I just replaced the stock tubes with Black Sable Mullards and really improved on more details once again. Fuses were also replaced for additional clarity. Ultra quite microphonics.

I have stock power cords and no power condtioning on my pre amp and power amps. I also don't have the room for big floorstanding speakers or giant monos so synergy is very important in my listening environment.

My two cents,
Pierre
Although Mac is an older company, BAT has the know how, especially when it comes to balanced designs, which IMHO are the very heart of hi-end audio. One of my friends sold his previous TOL BAT preamp (forgot the model #) and got the Rex. He is blown away!