mbl 6011d or arc ref 3 or dartzeel preamp?

hi,

I am looking for a balanced preamp for my system. I have narrowed it down to the dartzeel preamp, the mbl6011d or arc ref 3. The dartzeel preamp would mate best with the dartzeel amp that I have but am not positive I would keep the dartzeel amp. I am using emm labs dac and transport for digital and evolution acoustic speaker mm2 (with powered woofer). The speakers are definitely staying. the digital is stayin unless I cannot afford to keep everything.

If I changed my amplifier, I would likely stay with a solid state amplifier perhaps the mbl amplifier. I might consider a hybrid like the lamm 1.2

I have only seen scant reviews of the mbl 6011d and know a few people here love it but want to know has anyone compared it to the arc 3 or dartzeel?

thanks

mike

radioheadokplayer
Tboooe,

Thanks for your advising me that the mbl is single ended. while my dartzeel amplifier prefers single ended, my emm labs digital does not. Nevertheless, I have had far greater enjoyment with balanced into the dartzeel than single ended. Of course, the balanced was the great purist dominus ic but the nordost valhalla rca is no slouch either and the purist was far better in this particular system.

while i might sell the dartzeel amplifier, I rather doubt it because I think its pretty special (not that other amps are not also special)
Neither the darTZeel amp nor darTZeel preamp are balanced -- the designer is strongly opposed to differential balanced circuits. Both the Version A and Version B darTZeel amps have XLR input connections, with the Version B XLR inputs using input transformers -- both versions of the amp are single-ended designs and merely feature XLR connections (as well as 50 Ohm BNC connections). The preamp likewise is single ended.

Just because something has XLR connections does not mean that it is truly differential balanced (most consumer gear with XLR connections is in fact NOT balanced). Again, darTZeel's designer thinks balanced circuits are a bad idea.
raquel....good point.....I am certainly using the bnc connection if I get the dartzeel preamp
well I just heard the arc ref 3 in my system thanks to the generosity of Marty Williams.

I must say that the arc ref 3 is not a dramatic change from the emm labs preamp dcc2se. The emmlabs holds it own very well.

I think that my choice really boils down to keeping the emmlabs dcc2se as a preamp or getting the dartzeel.

Luckily, jonathan tinn is a fabulous audiophile dealer who is going to let me hear the dartzeel and then I will know whether the dartzeel preamp with bnc is far superior as a preamp with the dartzeel amp or not.

Michael