midrange forwardness

Could any of you tell me how to get more midrange? My system (solid state) is a bit lean and laid back sounding. I would like to have a full sounding midrange and a sound that is somewhat tilted towards the lower midrange. Thank you.
System: MBL 1621 transport-Accuphase C-290V preamp-Gruensch CSE II se power amplifier-Soundlab A-1 (electrostatic) speakers.

Chris
dazzdax
It sounds like you're describing the difference between SS and tube amps. Have you thought about trying tubes? It might be worth exploring. Personally, I haven't found an SS amp that gives the kind of midrange warmth that tubes do.

Check out Soundlab's FAQ:

What is the Minimum Power that you Recommend?

I personally recommend 100 watts minimum. However, we have customers that use 30 watt single-ended triode amplifiers and find them to be satisfactory. The equivalent one-meter sensitivity of our speakers (measured at 4 meters) is approximately 88 to 100 db (depending on the equalization settings). This is typical of the more efficient high-end speakers.

Which type of Amplifier works best, Tubes or Solid-State?

The real question is, which do you prefer? The high-impedance of our speakers in the lower frequencies (where the musical spectrum is most demanding) results in a greatly reduced current drain from the amplifier. So, both types of amplifiers run cooler, exhibit less distortion and last longer. Our speakers are very neutral and are not prejudiced, so what you prefer sounds best.
Thank you for your responses. Jordan, as you stated (and as stated in the Soundlab FAQ's) the Soundlabs have raising impedance in the lower frequencies. I've always thought that power amplifiers in general have no trouble driving speakers with higher impedance. The problem is often with low to very low (like the 0.3Ohms(!) in case of the old Apogee) impedances. So why would the Soundlab sound relatively louder in the treble with a solid state amplifier?

Chris
It doesn't take much...a good tube preamp is all you need. Just make sure you buy one that uses tubes, that have flavors you are looking for....after all, thats what tube rolling is all about.

In my system I can change the soundstage between wide/pinpoint, or, more forward/recessed....simply by changing tubes.

If I want a tight, and more focused sound, I use my Amperex 7308's...a little more bloom, and a little more forward, I switch to my Amperex 6dj8's...ect.

The quality is still there...just presented a little different.

Dave
04-19-08: Sogood51
It doesn't take much...a good tube preamp is all you need. Just make sure you buy one that uses tubes, that have flavors you are looking for....after all, thats what tube rolling is all about.

This hasn't been my experience. I paired several tube preamps with SS amps, but it never gave me the warmth that a tube amp offered.