VTL 5.5 VS CJ Premier 17

I have CJ electronics in my system comprising a PV-14 LS2 preamp and a 2500A power amp. I recently tried a VTL TL 5.5 preamp and thought it provided a lot more dynamics, more precise soundstage and air around the instruments. Although the highs of the VTL were a little more extended than my PV-14, I thought both had similar signatures with a sweet overall presentation.Which I like.

I haven't tried a Premier 17 ls or even a CT6 in my system and live away from CJ dealers. The VTL 5.5 has a lower MSRP than both upgrades I could make with CJ. Should I grab the VTL without looking back or should I go for a Premier 17 or CT6 and grab one without giving it a listen ?
andr
Cytocycle,

I'm glad you could answer my question. The Premier 14 is highly recommended to me by older buddies who live by the "old" CJ sound. I never heard one. Are you saying the VTL 5.5 would be of the same type of sonic signature with a little more focus ?

And Dopogue, I am in fact looking at the Premier 17 LS2 as an alternative but knowing it would be more expensive on the used market.I have to admit you have posted a lot on that unit and contaminated me with your conviction !
Geez, sorry :-)

Don't listen to the guys promoting the Premier 14. I had one for years while my audiobuddies bit their tongues (as they told me after I got the 17LS2).
Well,you have to know the old geezers really miss the old tube sound. And you will probably admit CJ has gone neutral for the last few years to a lot of people's dismay.

As for me, I'm back to audio and I'm actually into the CJ sound. But I'm still exploring to find if another type of sound could satisfy me. I've tried an Aesthetix Calypso in my system but found it too detailed in the highs for my taste although it is a superb machine. The VTL 5.5 is close to what I'm accustomed to and it gave in my system what I'm looking for : more dynamics and more air between instruments than my actual CJ preamp. But at the price it is for a new unit, I wonder if it is superior to the CT6 or even the Premier 17 LS knowing very well the LS2 is better.

Really? "The old geezers really miss the old tube sound." I'm 78. Where does that put me? Oh, and I love my Calypso.

:-)
Yeah the CJ Premier 14 is a very warm preamp with the traditional CJ Premier 11/12 sound of the EL34's... The Resister volume control is physically really loud and it doesn't provide a wide range of increments. The newer CJ gear is more transparent and more neutral. Since you have compared it, the VTL 5.5 is also the more romantic of the VTL preamps in sound (it's not warm) but when you hear the VTL 6.5 (you realise what it does wrong(only if you have 20hz speakers the bass is a little flabby but it could have been my input tubes..)) The VTL 6.5 is a STUNNER!!! But it better be for the price it commands, the VTL 5.5 with a phono preamp is a bargain!