Silky and soft highs: product of coloration?

Hi folks this is a bit controversial topic. I know some amplifiers (and some very expensive ones too!) have a very silky and soft presentation of the (upper) treble. I'm wondering if this silky presentation can be considered as a hallmark of quality for amplifiers or rather a sort of coloration that makes the upper treble soft and "pretty". In my opinion I can divide amplifiers in two groups: one group (the largest) with "ordinary" treble response (not very pretty) and the other group that consists of only a handful of amplifiers (both solid state and tube) with a refined and silky treble. The contenders within this last group are alas too expensive for mere mortals. This brings me to another question: is such a refined and silky treble only to be had with megabuck amplifiers?
I consider the Anne-Sophie Mutter recording "Carmen Fantasie" as the ultimate test recording for treble sweetness. If the amplifier sounds just "ordinary" with this recording (especially where the violin plays in the upper register) then the amplifier is not "refined" enough.

Chris
dazzdax
100% agreed Mrtennis!
Even so called best of the superamps/components are colored. It is questions of how much at which freq range and if this is accepatble to you or not.

For this reason one's best amp could the other's way at the bottom of his list.
Chris said:
"they have never heard how world's best power amplifiers sound! 90% of the amplifiers sound the same, that's why it will never become obvious with 90% of all audiophiles that the power amplifier is in fact a major determinant for the final sound quality. In this regards I would like to address to some of the world's best amplifiers, like FM Acoustics, Soulution, Boulder, Rey Audio, DartZeel(?), LAMM, Cello Performance, Audio Research REF600, etc"

Chris

Who says those are the worlds best amplifiers?...the owners (10% of audiophiles...your figure), the sellers?...the manufacturer?...GOOGLE?...do you have a link? Thank goodness we have an (ect.), which could add hundreds more to that list?

Are you aware, that a good percentage of that 10% of audiophiles (golden ears?), who can afford those components, don't even know how to set them up? It's true...check the system pic's, and the forum postings. "Audiophile" is a learning experience...you can't buy experience.

I'll stick with my experience, which tells me that there is no absolute answer. However, "all things being equal", and If I had to cut costs somewhere in the audio chain... source, preamp, amp...the amplifier is where I would do it.

Dave
'roll over saul marantz, tell frank mcintosh the news' -the dartzeel schmartzeel singers
Definately a combination of all components. While one amp does a good job with one set of speakers, it may distort with ineficient speakers and sound shrill. It really comes down to matching. Some people say Krell amps are too bright but with certain speakers they are great.

You have to remember that everything is coloured and there are many ways too roll off or extend the highs starting with the recording engineer and ending with the room.
It is very difficult to get a grainy free silk soft treble , yes Chris is right only the most expensive brands can do that.
It is not only silk soft grainy free, but also no colourisations that is even more difficult.
I will limit the choice into FM acoustics & Rey audio only, and leave all the other brands out: Cello (too much colourisation in the treble absolutely not neutral), Dartzeel is no competiion against FM acoustics, Boulder do not have that lovely FM acoustics sound. Audio research is not as musical as FM or Rey audio.