What is a passive preamp?

My impression, it`s a linestage pre. without a phono section, and/or tone controls. Is this correct?
pmm
A linestage is a preamplifier that can only deal with line level sources (CD players, DACs, tape decks, tuners) i.e. it is a preamplifier that does not have a phono stage.
I knew you were joking when you said preamp meant before the amp Herman. Come on you had to be. You don't call speakers postamps do you?
and you were surely joking when you said a preamp had to have a phono stage?

Since most preamps (even active ones) in normal operation are usually used to reduce the signal level, not increase it, shouldn't they really be called pre-attenuators?
No- Because they have the capability of amplifying(adding gain to) the signal. In some countries they are referred to as a, "control Amp." That is, perhaps, a more accurate description.
Not true Herman, only passive devices are used to attenuate. A preamp or linestage amplifies the signal. Therefore they are actually amplifiers in their own right. Which is the reason a passive device lacks dynamics in most instances. By the way, we had a good laugh at the stereo shop where I work about your comment that a preamp is called so because it comes before the amp. And yes, technically a preamp is not a preamp without a phono stage. Most people call linestages preamps including myself but they are not. You can call them bicycles or anything you want but that doesn't make it correct.