Mixing a Stereo pre-amp with HT Pre-amp processor

I currently have a McIntosh MX135 Pre/Pro and in the recent visit to the RMAF. I had a mfg rep tell me that if I bought a stereo pre-amp with Passive Pass Thru that I could place it between the MX135 and run the 2 front channels thru the stereo pre-amp. And have my stereo source components run thru the stereo pre-amp and totally bypass the MX135. He said that I would make a big gain in sound quality, I called McIntosh and they told me that I could gain as well, of course they recommended a couple of McIntosh pre-amps that had this capability. My question: Has anyone done this, was it worth it? What PreAmp would you recommend? I was looking at the Ayre K5XE and possibly one of the McIntoshs. Just curious if this would be worth it.
128x128theo
Can you guys suggest a manufacturer which has the pass-thru option & is also in the sub $1,000 area?
Are you looking for used or new? The TAD 150 Signature is worth considering, and can be found used for <$1000. But I think they are only available used.

TAD (Tube Audio Design) also sells a sub ($289) but I'm not familiar with it. I like Rel Subs - and you can find Rel Storm III for ~$1000 used, and Rel Strata III can be found used for ~$750 used I think . New Rel subs are somewhat more than $1000, though there may be an entry model below $1000.
New or used doesn't matter. Probably better off with used since my budget is so limited. Presently I am using a 15 year old Denon AVR-3000 receiver.

Also, i mean under/sub $1000 for the price of the pre-amp. I didn't mean a subwoofer :) thanks though, going to try to make one myself actually.

thanks again
Also, i mean under/sub $1000 for the price of the pre-amp. I didn't mean a subwoofer :) thanks though, going to try to make one myself actually.
of course, had I read your post more carefully, it would have been clear to me. Now and then I simply start talking before my brain is properly warmed up ;-)