Is the moscode 600 a great amplifier?

Hi there,

I'm planing to buy a Moscode 600 power amp. I found a lot of reviews on the web, but they're quite mixed: some are lukewarm if not bad (a reviewer said it's a "low" fi!!), others are nice.
Anyone can tell me his experience with this special amp? In particular, does it really match well with inefficient speakers?

Thanks,

Michaƫl
mcos
It's just a term used for the lack of transparency some MOSFET amps posess Baranyi.
Replace the tubes with either Siemens E188CC/7308 or CCa, and the sound will be transformed greatly. Then there's the upgrade path as well: (http://moscode.home.att.net/M_mods_upgrades.html) People don't ususally bother with modding products that aren't worth it in the first place. If you are stuck on SS amps- Don't let the slight "mist" of the MOS-FET bother you. That's a great improvement over the grain, glare and edge that bi-polar transistors exhibit. Yes- The Hafler TransNova 9505 is a great SS amp also(I power my woofers with one). FET front-end instead of the tubes, pure class A, fully differential, and MOS-FET outs(also slightly "misty". That "mist" takes a trained pair of ears to notice, BTW.
Perception seems to be one of the most determining factors for what people hear. But most designs can sound good, even MOSFETs.
The amps are even better now. Remember these are a pair of the Max mods that George Kaye does. I have Russian NOS ('79' & '81') 6H30p-DR in the four input positions. I have four Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s (early '60's' in the four driver positions. And a Pope NOS 7 yes 7DJ8 in the regulator positions.

The amps are heavenly.
It is powerful, reliable, and more tube like then transistor.
It drives just about any reasonable load, and even some unreasonable ones.
IMHO, it is THE amp to have if you are a guy like me, always changing, or owning many pairs of speakers.
The Moscode 600 is a LOT better amp then a Moscode 300.
The Moscode 600 can be tube rolled to sound like you want it to.
This means you will not have to buy a new amp to get your new speakers sounding right.
Simply roll the input tubes of the Moscode 600, and change the sound as you wish.
They go for around 600 to 800 dollars.'
At that price, it is a no brainer.