Tube amps and iPods

There's a piece in this morning's NY Times about tube amp docking stations for iPods.
128x128sfar
I don't believe that big music companies are the only way. I do believe it's difficult to find indy music on iTunes. If you're saying you're stealing music, I think that's a crummy thing to do. Unless you know, it's Pink Floyd or Metallica or something. Then go for it. I do like current bands: The Hold Steady, the Thermals, Mono, lots of stuff. If they can play their instruments and dress themselves, all the better. IPods sound like crap, even at their best by comparison to analogue. This is why the Nagra is still king in pro recording, and it's in the editing where you get ProTools. This is why people still get vinyl rigs. There is a perception that tubes and vinyl require more technical skill to set up. This is basically a myth that's built up by people who worry and fiddle on weekends. If you can change a lightbulb you can use tubes. If you buy reasonably ok speakers, Paradigm-ish on up say, it will probably be alright with your tube amp. Gadgetry and the evils of consumer culture aside, it's very easy to screw up an iPod (DC battery to AC) if things aren't well thought out at the pre/amp input. I've seen three or four toasted ones from this. I would worry about it more than say, are my speakers sensitive enough or what height is my tone arm at?
I've been shocked at the level of sound quality I can get out of a nano, recordings ripped at 192, using high quality earphones like Westone UM2, Westone 3, Shure's SE series or Ultimate Ears. I don't know how this translates into a home high end system, but it stikes me that a $600 tube integrated MIGHT not be overkill as amplification of the line out on an ipod. It's worth trying. Would love to hear a report from someone that has tried it.
Art
Hi
iPod's are the best portable players. It's a fun thing to have when you walk or when you go outside to do something, I think is not the best for the sound it’s for the services and software you get.
Tubes amps and iPod is more a romantic way to think, a tube amp will warm your sound, but that’s all.
I have an iPod and even with AIFF files you can see de difference, now the problem is not the file is the sound card.
iPod are compress files, with so little dynamic, that doesn't matter if you buy the most expensive amp in the world still compress files.
If you have a pipe of 3" then you reduce it to 1" and then you expanded to 3" again, you won’t get more water than the one can go through 1” pipe.
Never forget iPod is a PORTABLE music player, Keep it that way.
Paulo
Paulo

It's not necessarily true that the files on the iPod are compressed, that's entirely up to the user.

It will store and play the same AIFF files that are on a CD, uncompressed WAV files or several different types of compressed files.

I agree with you that what the iPod excels at is ease of use and portability and considering it as a primary music source for a high-end system doesn't make a lot of sense but it is perfectly capable of storing uncompressed files.
Just to meke shure that express my self clear.
ON AIFF files yes, you transfer files with the same quality of the CD to the iPod, but I said :
I have an iPod and even with AIFF files you can see de difference, NOW THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE FILE IT SELF IS THE SOUND CARD OF THE IPOD.
The sound card on the iPod is good, how ever far far away form a High-End CD player.
Paulo