VTL TL2.5 Preamp

Can anyone shed any light on this tube pre-amp, I'm considering one? I never considered tube "anything" before, but did like the sound very much. Matched with a SS amp.
adman227
I owned a 2.5 for a couple of years, and it is a real bargain. The optional phono stage is quite nice as well. Tubed with Mullard/Telefunken tubes, it really soared. The MultiCap upgrade from VTL was worthwhile, and inexpensive. My dealer let me borrow a Classe' preamp while the 2.5 was at VTL, and I really missed it.

Consistently excellent results with VTL ST-85, MB-125's and ST-150. I used it with a Plinius SA-100mkII for a few months as well...nice sounding combo, but I went back to an all-tube system.

In an all-tube system, I preferred Tele's. With the Plinius, the slightly warmer tone of the Mullard tubes worked best.
I bought a second-hand unit in 1999. I have enjoyed the unit and have had no problems with it. With the solid metal remote, I also find the build quality outstanding for the price I paid. Although I have not replaced the stock tubes or caps, I am now interested in the positive statements of others as to these mods.
I agree with the above comments, I have one and have used it with both a VTL st85 and my Mac 252, sounds very nice with both, very nice phone stage too, just a fine value, I heard VTL prices are going up,so you may want to snag one now.
I don't think you can go wrong with the 2.5. This preamp gave me what I was looking for: large and deep soundstage, more detail and that tube quality that makes music and instruments more dimensional and life-like. I was also considering the Cary 98 at the time and tried out both in my system (ss amp and planars)and thought the 2.5 sounded better: they were both excellent but the VTL had a tubier sound, which I like. I bought mine a few years ago and later added some NOS Mullards for both the 12au7s and 12at7s. The Mullards gave it a bit more of the rich tube sound without any loss in detail.
just brought the 2.5 home, hooked up, and playing. You guys were right, thanks :)
Clarity also seems remarkable, coming from my Rotel pre-amp!