Joule Preamps?

Can someone describe the sound signature differences between the LA-100 and LA-150s?
pubul57
Clio09, do you find your TVC to be warmer than the LA-150MKI? I'm currently using a Placette Active which replaced a CAT SL1 Ulitmate. I am very happy with the Placette, but am wondering if there is something out ther I might like better. I've been thinking about the Joule, because it is often used with the Merlin, but I do have a CAT JL2 Amplifier so I don't know how the two might work together - it works quite well with the Placette. A neutral and revealing preamplifier I already have, and I'm would love to know if the Joule would provide some "tube magic" without loosing the frequency balance and transparency of the Placette. I am afraid that ultimately I can only answer the question by trying it, but hearing from others does provide some guidance. Thanks.
Pubul57, I would not say that my TVC is warmer than the LA-150 MkI, just that it is a tad warmer than most passive preamps. If you like the Placette as much as you indicate, I don't think the LA-150 MkI is going to cut it for you. Yes it is neutral, it is revealing, but I think it will not match the transparency and frequency balance your Placette gives you. It will come close, but you may regret the buying decision and unlike other gear, for reasons unknown to me, the Joule units don't have very good resale value.

Sometimes the best solution is right under your nose.
Pubul57,

In the same general family you might like the Atma-Sphere MP-1, which I use in combination with the VSM-MX/BBAM and a BAT VK75SE. The Atma is extended and resolving at the frequency extremes & well developed in the midrange without being lush.
Clio09, I have found what you say to be very true in this hobby, and I do suspect the best solution may be in my possession. My "quest" for a "warmer" tube pre is due to the very neutral nature of the CAT JL2, and for that matter than Merlin VSM. When I had the CAT Ultimate (a wonderful pre)I felt as if the two CATs were a bit to much of a good thing - very neutral - and hoped for some touch of warmth. Interestingly, I thought think the Placette is a bit warmer, while being exceptionally transparent. I have heard that the LA-150 MKII is a more fleshed out (warmer) version of MKI, while remaining neutral. Problem is, without a 30-day trial, in your own system and room, it is always a bit of a risk. Dgarretson, the Atmasphere is also on my short list. I have owned the CAT ULtimate and the Lamm LL2 - and of course these are both wonderful units. I suspect I'll experiment a bit more, but in the end, Clio9 may be right. The Placette Active is one great piece.
Pubul57, I totally understand what you are saying. I own Spendor 1/2e speakers and they are neutral, so going from a Joule LA-100 MkIII to a K&K TVC had me a bit worried that I would lose too much of the magic in my system. Well it turns out I was wrong. While I did lose a bit of the magic, I certainly made up for it in spades with transparency, detail and frequency balance.

I love the Joule LA-100 MkIII, I'm sorry I sold mine, I will own another one some day (or maybe an LA-150 MkII). However, if I do buy another Joule, the TVC isn't going anywhere. I learned my lesson the first time around.