experience with Threshold SA/2e or S/500 amps?

does anybody have experience with the older threshold sa/2e monoblocks or S/500 stereo amp? either owning the amps or in comparisions to new amps like: classe, mcintosh, pass labs? i will be using them to drive a pair of Totem Mani 2's. The SA/2e's are rated at 100 watts class A which might be a little low on power for the mani's. I have never owned a pure class A amp and maybe these amps have the necessary erserve power for the mani's. the s/500 would have enough power but they are a class a/b amp. i'm looking for an amp that are warm sounding with enough power to control the mani's. any thoughts?
rbstehno
Any of thr older Thresholds ( specially the S series ) are great and powerful amps. The S A series being the cream of the crop..Compared to today they are still considered very good,but today for some reason the amps are Voiced a little different in my opinon.The Tube amps are Voiced to sound less warm with a more neutral/analitcal sound and Solid State amps have more musicality with more warmth and both s/s and tubes are very close in sound.That being said its very hard to compare.. If you can find a nice SA 1 or 2 Threshold,jump on it before someone else does...
I own a Threshold S/300 amp which I prefer over many more modern poweramps. The sound (to my ears that is) is a bit on the warm side, but not at the expense of detail. It is dynamic, powerfull, has a very nice stereo image and suits my taste to a tee. Also it has plenty of power, which is a good thing considering the (in) sensitivity of my loudspeakers. I recently had it revised and, apart from some small capacitors, it was in perfect shape. The only thing I really don't like are the small speaker terminals at the back, but that's about the only weakness I can think of.
I imagine the S/500 will sound about the same, but with more power. And don't let the words 'Class A' fool you: it is not the only way to audio nirvana. There's nothing wrong with a good designed and built Class B amp.... Like the Thresholds!
Don't get too worried about the S 500, look for the S500II Stasis version. It's Class A to about 50 watts and then turns to Class A/B.

Nice amp, accurate, what you put in is what you put out.
I sent my Muse 160 II amp that had been doing sub duty for me for some time back to Muse. In it's place I had S300 II stasis, and put it in, not as big a difference as going from a B&K 442 to the Muse, but it was there, my subs integrate a bit better with the maggies which is no small chore.

Some people will laugh but, a sub amp makes as much difference as a driver change. Even a non audiophool buddy heard it one night.

He's an old friend and spending the night with his wife, so us phool were up late consuming adult beverages and as
we were feeling no pain, and I being in an X-perimental mood, swapped out the B&K for the Muse between sides of MSFL I-Robot, wholly smoke, he asked what happened. The B&K ain't no slouch or lacking for current drive, but it sure made a HUGE DIFFERENCE. The T-hold was even better.

loon