Opinion on Sonic Frontiers SFM-160 monoblocks

I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of mint SFM-160 monos for about $750. I have never heard them and am looking to make the transition from ss to tubes, but need to do so economically for now. I currently have a pair of Talon Raven C speakers (89 dB), Esoteric DV-50 player, Anthem AVM2 processor that serves as a preamp for 2 channel and also for HT, silver cables of various lower end flavors, and the balance of the system for HT : Aragon 8008 x5 amp, Bohlender Graebener hybrid ribbon speakers, HSU VFT2 sub, TG Audio power filter. I also have a Denon direct drive turntable with Denon arm and Grado cartridge (don't remember the specifics) that I am running thru a NAD 705 preamp section into the Aragon to spin vinyl. My next objective, after tube amp/preamp, is to upgrade the vinyl.
I listen to jazz, some pop/rock, and some blues. Room is 14 x 20 x 8 with EchoBuster treatments.

I am not sure whether to buy an older vintage power amp now, or wait a bit and pick up a newer piece when I have more $$$ to spend. Also, I have heard and liked the Cayin integrated amp, and have read some good things about Rogue.

What is everyone's opinion on the SFM-160 monos? I have to make a decision soon. Should I buy them (how good a value are they?) to try them out? Thanks.
lorenc1
Great amps! Thorman is correct about retubing it, unless the seller is honest and has newer tubes in it. If it needs tubes plan on something in the $300+ price range for a good octet of power tubes. Sound like a very good deal even with a new set of tubes.
I say go for it. They're very nice amps. I had a pair for 10 years before I went the SET route. Never had a bit of problem at all with them. I agree on the retube. My favorite output tube with these amps was the Ei KT-90. The KT-90 seemed to do everything well and they last a long time.
I owned both SFM-75 monos and 160 monos for several years.I think they are nice(but unremarkable) amps.Be prepared to experiment!The tubes,cables, DAC and speakers are all important in the equation.At that price they are a no brainer.I sold mine for $1600 two years ago.

Larry(transnoval)