Opportunity to buy the best Preamp... but which?

On the tube front... AR Ref3 vs. CJ ART3 vs. VL TL-7.5 vs. Wavac PR-T1?

Or on the SS front... Burmester 808Mk5 vs Dartzeel NHB-18NS vs Krell Evolution2 vs MBL 6010D vs Halcro DM10?

My preference would be a neutral tube based model.

Any opinions?

Andrew
stevecortez
Atmasphere has a good point, in so much as we all have built in pre-conceptions of what we expect to hear from our home systems. I'll say again however that live music is identifiable as such by even the non-audiophiles among us. The "BEST" gear will allow those "LIVE" characteristics to shine through...micro and macro dynamics, full range extension, large deep airy soundstaging, palpability of solid images, accurate timbre etc... I can appreciate alot of gear, but my ref 3 and HD220 in my system re-creates the live event so well that one can suspend belief that it is in fact a live performance. Reality is of course real and is therefore something we can experience...live music is clearly unique in it's balance of sound and unrestrained nature. Music is clear but not overtly so, it is dynamic as hell but hangs together. it is full of expression and life, it has dimension. Many high end brands try to get it right but most do not pull it all together...they are not the best!! I've gone to the BSO, the Kimmel, the Curtis Institute etc....when I go home I am not totally disappointed. Of course if one has no appreciation of well recorded important music and/or has no live reference point one can find bliss around every corner....ah, ignorance truly is bliss!!
Why not take up NAP's and VSO Marketing's offer to try the P12-R in your system on a 30 trail. Yes, now you don't have to wait weeks to get your pre. VSO has them instock. They take CC's and would be happy to end your preamp decisions by allowing you or anyone else to audition this magnificent peice of gear. You can reach VSO at [email protected] or 201-874-8108.
Hearing what the P12-R can do in your system is the RIGHT way to discover what all those who have already bought this pre now!
I really think that the First Sound Paramount is worthy of mention and is built like a tank to boot. Anything that has 500,000 microfarads and weighs inat a paltry 120lbs and is only a preamp, may have something going for it. This is a tube beast and I still remember the sonic signiture of my lesser MKII. The 16000 dollar sticker is a slight kicker, but if you want to own the best? E.Go is also a real gentleman and gives amazing service to boot. Hope this helps Dennis
Jmaldonado, if God made a preamp it wouldn't have transistors in it either :)
Atmasphere is more correct as it pertains to divine intervention regarding preamps ... I've had tons of both gear (includng the new Krell Evo rig), musc is not made without a great tube preamp involved!