Amplifiers for Talon Hawk monitors

Hi All,

I've been using a Levinson 23.5 amp with my Talon Hawks and just wondered if anyone had experience of a better ss amp match. I've also used expensive Audio Research, Plinius and Conrad Johnson amps with them and did not appreciate the match.

I've heard some good things about Edge and Halcro but would really appreciate any views and information about their actual or potential performance with the Talons.

Many thanks
dgob
I'm now using the VAC musicbloc 160 with Hawks (and Firebirds). This is an amazing amp. I was extremely happy with the Auricle amps, but what VAC has done in the musicbloc 160s is really special. I'm hearing twice the depth in soundstage and before the auricles already had more depth than any solid state amp. The only downside to the musicblocs---they are not inexpensive. Definitely worth an audition if it's within your means.
Hi Rives/Chaz801,

I've had a few people now suggest the VAC amp and, indeed, Mark Farnsworth had originally told me that he favours valve amplification with the Hawks. However, I am more inclined to move for a ss amp: partly due to the fact that I have a front end (Townshend Supatweeters, Talon Hawk monitors with Velodyne DD12 subs - all in stereo) that is very sensitive to the frequency extremes and can bring out issues with tube amps.

In fact, I sold my earlier Audio Research VT200 MKII, Conrad Johnson Prem 8a and have rejected various other options that have spent some time in my set up. These include classics such as the Leak ST60, Leak 12.1, Atmasphere MA1, Plinius etc.

Given all this, could you suggest the strengths that I am likely to hear with the VAC in toe?

Many thanks for all of your very helpful contributions to date.
Imaging and depth will improve with the VAC. It's just a really excellent combination. In many respects I almost feel like the speaker and amps were made for each other. I'm currently enjoying the Musicblocs on a pair of Firebirds. As to frequency extremes--well the Hawks don't go that low anyway. 30 Hz is about their limit--so the sub amp will be handling the lower extreme. As to the high end with the super tweeters, I doubt I can hear above 20kHz any more so I doubt I can make a very good assessment.
Many thanks Rives. I'll give it a go with the Musicblocs as soon I can arrange to audition a set. Concerning the super tweeters, I also sympathise/suffer with the effects of age but still suspect you'd hear the difference in a number of areas but am certain that female vocals and general imaging will be the most notable. If you have a chance, give them a bash - and thanks again.
Thanks to all respondents, however I have now sorted my apparent problems in driving the Talons and they are singing like the proverbial lark. I managed this with a different system change that has meant that the Levinson/Hawk combination seems to have been made in heaven. I've actually posted a review of how this all came about at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rprea&1187459855&openusid&zzDgob&4&5. Thanks, again though for all of your kind assistance and suggestions.