Same manufacturer for pre & amp?

Is there any consensus that using an pre/pro and amp from the same manufacturer, e.g. Krell with Krell, Levinson with Levinson, is likely to yield the optimum result?

db
donbellphd
I have moved back to seperates for the first time in 15 years. Both are (given recommendations and reviews of each)the same manufacturer. I agree with everyone here, but went with the same manufacturer because I felt, given I couldn't audition these babies, that the same manufacturer stacked the deck in my favor for a delicious match. This is what is nice about purchasing used. Don't like? Sell, and look for a new amp, pre, or both. warren :)
It would seem to make the most sense on paper untill you may be looking for Solid State slam and control on the amp and the warmth of a tube pre amp, wich alot of manufactures dont fall into both camps......then it gets interesting.
I've never been a big believer in one manufacturer doing everything the best. It can be safe, but IMO the best system synergy can be achieved by mixing. Your own ear will be the determining factor, and as such no one can really tell you what will sound best to you. At the price range you're looking at an audio store should lend you the products you're interested in to see how it sounds in your system in your room. At that will be the true test.

kw........
One thing you sometimes get by keeping it in the family, is a lot of good experience from the manufacturer or dealer about system synergy with other cables/speakers/ sources/Nos tubes/ etc. This can really ease your way, assuming taste & system goals run in the same general direction.
The nearest you will get to a complete consensus is that each manufacturer believes that you will get the best sound by using their preamp with their amp. After that it varies with whose ears are doing the listening