How Much Power is Enough?

I'm thinking of upgrading my YBA 2 Alpha HC amplifier (70 wpc). I'm currently using PMC OB1 speakers that are fairly inefficient at 87db. I really don't play my system at very loud volumes...and I don't think that I'm stressing my current amplifier...but I'm not sure. I'm looking for an amplifier that will bring about a wide soundstage, tighter bass, and exceptional smooth execution of mirco-detail. Would having more power make much of a difference? ...or should I be looking at a higher quality amplifier and stay with lower power like my current YBA? Some amps I've been considering on the USED market are: Pass XA60 monoblocks (lower power), Pass X150.5, SimAudio Moon W-5....
Would these amplifiers be a good match for my system? Would it be an upgrade from my YBA? Any advice or discussion would be appreciated.

calgarian
calgarian5355
Would having more power make much of a difference?

No. Not for what you describe.

I'm looking for an amplifier that will bring about a wide soundstage, tighter bass, and exceptional smooth execution of mirco-detail.

-have you considered room modal problems/acoustic reflectivity?

-perhaps the tube pre might be giving you a little too much bass punch
Elvick, you're a little mistaken with your calculations. you mean 3db not 10db. 10db= twice the loudness.
Your speaker are probably some of the best. From what I know, PMC's demand fairly high power to get the most of out them. I'd suggest you contact PMC, get the name of one of their reps and pose this question to them. Of course, your dealer may have the answer too, although they might be anxious to sell something they have. Your on the right track though. Seems like the only way to have speakers like those is to power them correctly.
OBWANKANOBEE
PMCs are known to be good matches with Bryston amps.

I have heard the smallest PMC driven with Bryston, Krells, Classe& Rowlands.

One thing for sure they really eat power for lunch. The 100watters can drive them but when you start pumping them up with 150watts >, wow, they really come alive and the bass starts to really boogie.

I think, the more "quality" watts you can afford, the better. Pass and the Sim you got listed are good choices but look into the Rowlands and Bryston.

good luck
I would also look at one of those modified mccormack dna 1 (170w) from SMC audio. Those would be awesome amps for the PMC and at the same time more affordable than Pass & Sim Audio