Need balanced pre with HT bypass/remote/

I recently bought some great used ATC SCM 150ASL active loudspeakers on this site. They are wonderful replacements for my VMPS RM/X's, but they have put my great-sounding Modwright SWL 9.0 SE into a tizzy. Due to the SWL being single-ended there are numerous ground and buzz/hum issues that have arisen because of rca-to-XLR, etc.. Some grounding straps have helped quiet it up in 2 channel but the HT bypass continues to have noise now. Jensen isolators may help, too, but it's getting crazy. Anyway, I'm also susceptible to phase inversion and I use to be able to swap speaker leads when i thought things would sound better that way; I can no longer do that with the ATC's (no speaker leads). The Modwright inverts phase, period.

So, I am in the market for not simply a replacement for the Modwright, but I want a significant upgrade if I'm gonna do this. The table stakes include true balanced outs, remote control, HT bypass (or unity gain-fixed gain), and an invert phase switch if possible. The following are a list of contenders based on my internet surfing over the past couple of days. Any opinions on these would be very helfpul. I've read quite a few user opinions, and most list the Ref 3 as tops, but a couple folks claim they like the new LS26 better, and it's almost half the price (neither are likely available used). The other top contenders would be possiblly available used or new:
* ARC Ref 3
* ARC LS26
* ARC Ref 2 Mk 2
* BAT VK-51SE
* Aesthetix Calypso
* Pass Labs x0.2 (no invert function)

My 2 channel equipment is mainly:
* a wonderful sounding Modwright tubed-modded Denon 3910 for redbook and hirez
* a SOTA Saphire tt into a Dynavector P-75 stage (will soon upgrade SOTA, and possibly Dyna down the line)
* ATC SCM150ASl active speakers with triamps internal

Note: Although I also have a 5.1 and 7.1 setup in this room, driven by the modded 3910 hirez surround and DVD into a Denon 4806 acting as a surround pre (soon to Anthem D2 for balanced needs into ATC surrounds, as well) it's mainly my 2 channel sound I'm focused on now.

Feel free to add a pre of your choice, but it needs to include the basics. Thx much,
Ted
tedmbrady
Greetings, as far as your noise problems go, you need to cheeter plug all your components and get a good AC treatment set-up.

As for upgrading your pre-amp, I would seriously consider a Placette, in my experience they are the best pre-amp available, period.

They're also made in America, come with a 30 day money back gaurantee and a lifetime warranty, along with a lifetime trade-up option.

Also, no one builds anything even simular to a Placette, there basically a box stuffed full of very expensive Vishay S102 resistors. That's why nothing sounds as good as a placette.

Happy listening
Post removed 
i have and love a VAC Ren mk2, but AFAIK, it is not a true balanced circuit. it has xlr or rca outputs, however, and so may fill the bill. it does have a very nice remote and ht bypass.
Thanks for the responses so far. I want to go active, and do NOT want to do cheaters everywhere. I cheater'd the ATC's and my great UK contacts at ATC went ballistic, saying that it's quite dangerous and unstable. It was quiet as hell, but dangerous. I believed 'em. Not sure Dan will mod the SWL to go balanced. It's more architectural to that than a simple mod, I think. I'll ask, but doubt it. Dan and i talk regularly so if he'd do it at all, he'd do it for me.

My ATC's are quite revealing and fairly agrressive. My listening preferences range from Cassandra Wilson and Miles Davis to Radiohead to Rickie lee Jones. A lot of jazz, alternative and female vocals, but then again Peter Gabriel and some quieter EMI stuff too (Pat Metheny, etc.) I love redbook, SACD and when I upgrade my vinyl, I'm looking forward to rediscovering my huge vinyl collection.
Just so you know, it seems when anyone hears Placette, everyone thinks "passive".

Although it's true Placette makes the best passive pre-amp, they also make the best active pre-amp.