845s: To biamp or not

I have a new pair of Consonance Cyber 845 monos which I'm very happy with. I have tried them full-range on my Hyperion 938s as well as using a Gallo SA amp to drive the bass modules. I seemed to prefer them full-range, but have been wondering if perhaps I didn't devote enough time to proper level matching and should give the system another go with the Gallo amp.

So.. I'm curious: who would pursue bi-amping in this situation? Does the 845 have sufficient muscle and extension to want to run them full-range on speakers that go to 35Hz, or is bi-amping theoretically preferable at least? Opinions?

The theoretical part of me doesn't like the discontinuity inherent in bi-amping. But perhaps I am all wet.
paulfolbrecht
I would never argue the point that they're better - but worth $700/pr? Not to me - not now anyway.

Why the hell is it that nobody in the 21st century can make a vacuum tube as good as one 50 years old? It's pretty darn ridiculous.
I was using highly modded Dared 845 amp with my 94 db efficient speakers and it wasnt enough power for me, It is an "integrated amp" so it has volume control. I found that for me the bass never sounded properly, it was too thin all around and though music was enjoyable it missed a lot of instruments altoghether. I like Class A PushPull tube amps, sound more real to me IMHO. With SET 20 watts didnt cut it and 12 watts of push pull class A bring down the house! I turned off my sub....
I had a TVC previously and sold it for the same reasons; something was missing from the music, I can just imagine the same effect adding up...ยท$%&?* (I like SS preamps I guess...still looking for the perfect preamp!)
IMHO SETs are for Horns in a biamped or triamped setup!!

This is what you ought to hear in your system and then you can decide if I was wrong or not!! I like your approach...

Cheers
Hi Paulfolbrecht

I bought a pair of Hyperion 938 speakers recently. I am considering 845 tube amps to drive it. Looking at several options:
- Hyperion's own HT-845
- Consonance Cyber 845
- Antique Sound Lab 1009 (dual 845)
- exploring others...

How would you describe the sound of the Consonance compared with other 845 amps?
Paul, when I blew one of my Cyber 211s with a bad NOS tube, I approached the U.S. distributor to get a schematic. He said none was available. I sent them to a close friend who modifies gear for repair. Given what you were told by them, I am glad I did not trust them to repair the amp.

I had not thought of trying the 6900 tube and will probably not try it now. I am not sure that having 6900s does not violate your concern whether NOS are worth the cost.

Ethifi, I bought the 211 version of the Consonance Cyber series largely on the strenght of the Enjoythemusic review and a pair being available on Audiogon. I had also heard very favorable things about these amps. I needed greater power than the present 8 watts that I had.

Since getting the amps, I have greatly improved them by using better tubes, carefully isolating the amps on good stands, changing the fuses to IsoCleans, and putting them on ac filtering. I doubt if brand to brand variations are as great as these changes. Also the guy who repaired my amp says he thought they sounded excellent and used very good parts.

How do the prices of the amps you are thinking about compare?
Jsadurni - That Dared ought to be PLENTY of power for 94dB speakers if that is accurate and if they do not have really nasty impedance & phase swings. I had that same amp and it drove 88dB Gallos very well indeed. If it wasn't so huge and ran so hot I would have kept it.

Ethifi - The Consonance amps are 1st rate in every way. Build quality, parts, sonics all top-notch. American stuff like this would cost $10K.

The new Hyperion 845s, however, may turn out to be killer as well.

ASL - you can read all day about them. Good sonics, good deal, for sure, but more than a few have had issues with the gear.

My experience with this 8w Dared amp is steering me well away from bi-amping. If this tiny 8W amp can produce GOOD bass in these speakers, the 845s sure can (I knew that). Well, I mean, I have played with the Gallo amp some more, and while it does tighten up the bass some it is not worth the hassle and extra load on the source. I will try it again with the 845s when I can but when in doubt, go for simplicity, I say.