tube preamps

are these to good to be true. I have been thinking of adding an inexpensive (under 2K) tube preamp to my SS integrated amp. The very positive audiogon reviews on these lower priced models are everywhere. What am i missing....they seem to be a no brainer compared to models in the 5K range.
csmithbarc
You will sacrifice punch, drive and dynamics, not to mention bass with most tube amps. If you don't listen to 70s rock and old jazz that may not matter to you, but I do. IMHO a good tube pre gives your air around instruments, widens and deepens the soundtage. I am definitely in the tube pre SS amp camp. For me the TAD-150 is doing the trick paired with a McCormack DNA-125 amp.
I just purchased my Minimax brand new from Morningstar Audio about 2 months ago.So yes they are still in production.I really like it by the way.Was going passive prior but i like what this little fella has added to my systems character.Nice preamp
Never seen a transistor setup that can match the slam, bandwidth, clarity and body of a good tube setup. There's nothing wrong with setting your sights higher!
You need to make sure that the SS amp you’re going to use is not DC coupled, or you may be looking for some new speaker drivers also.
The real no brainer would be buying a $5k preamp (like an Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, or Granite Audio) used on Audiogon for 1.6k !!!