Ok....Audiogoners: need some tube amp ideas

Any suggestion/comment is appreciated. Just off the top of my head, below is a list of initial parameters.

- budget: $4k ish (somewhat flexible)
- tubes/valves amp(s)
- preowned or new
- mono or stereo configuration
- min wattage: 70 and higher (this rating would afford me more speaker options down the road e.g. 4/8 ohm and >88db efficiency)
- brand(s): leaning toward more esoteric manufacturers or models (e.g. Dodd 120, VAC PHI, Audio Valves); would prefer staying away from manufactueres that do magazine advertisement.

Current thought: I might push the budget a bit to consider a pair of preowned Lamm ML1.

Thanks much. (currently listening to Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 by NY Philharmonic/Berstein)

Ken
kyyuan
Kyyuan, I would also like to extend an offer, if you were interested and in the Detroit area please feel free to contact me about a listening session with the Atma-Sphere amp. I am not a dealer, just a very satisfied owner.

I would like to echo that Swampwalker gave IMHO an excellent comparison of three possibles. All great sounds in there own right. I have not owned but have heard all and settled with the Atma's because they moved me like no other amp musically and for there combined attributes.

Sbank, Please refrain from your negative interpretations and discounting of others opinions. It's not necessary to intelligently make your counter point. "The point is" Ken ask for some sound tube amp options and I responded. That is "code for" nothing but the facts. It’s fine with me that you don’t agree, really.

Happy Listening all!
I'm doing the Pathos monos using the Classic One MkII's; I'm enjoying them immensely! See my reviews (one review of the Classic One MkII in stereo; the second review of twin units in bridged/mono mode) on audioasylum.com

See also my virtual system. They sound as good as they look.
Ok I'm going to chip in here with regard to the Berning and say it is one of the finest amps for the money, size and heartache that you will ever hear. I've had the atma's in my system the M60 and S30 and have heard the MA1 extensively on many speakers..big JM labs,Revel,Audio Physic, Trangle and many more.. When I speak of heartache I mean fiddling with biasing, heat!, weight, paranoia of wondering if every tube is working or is biased correctly and on the atma's this is a reality. The atma's are fine amps but they take up alot of room, are heavy, awkward chassis and can be expensive.

I think the Berning is quite a value. There were some other choices mentioned that were all viable and very good..I think you'll spend quite a bit more money, if that matters, on some of the other choices that may not get you any closer than the Berning ...and no, mine's not for sale...Good Luck
Adding to the last two posts, the Berning ZH270 is an excellent choice. Furthermore, when you hear the ZH270 in your system with your speakers you might decide to keep them. The ZH270 delivers DEEP and well controlled Bass. This amp's lower -3 dB point is at 1.5 Hz and runs the tubes very conservatively.

Good luck in your selection.