best preamp ever - cost is no object

Hello there,

I am in the running for a new preamp, cost is no object.
Would appreciate to hear comments from you out there.
Thinking about Lyra Connoisseur 4.2 SE among others.
Poweramp is Tenor 150, speakers are Eidolon diamonds.
Thanks for your help and experience.
aspera
I agree with Herman. www.reflectionaudio.com

There isn't much chatter about this product on the net although there was one post by a person who directly compared this preamp with some very notable contenders, both tube and solid state. Unfortunately I can't remember the other brands he compared.

I believe customization is available. Unlike some other battery powered products this preamp has balls, very dynamic and quiet. The preamp section never sees AC voltage even when it's charging. It's difficult to tell the difference when listening in the charging mode or in play.

I was lucky to find a loaded Quantum used. Unfortunately, the only comparison I could make was with a late model Audible Illusions M3A w/phono which was completely out classed in every aspect, and my Eidolons don't lie.

Have fun
21 entries and more than 21 candidates! I bet there are more than that. So here's my recommendation:

1. Go with tubes.

2. A good preamp can drive interconnects over 25 feet with no ill effects at all.

3. Avoid remote control volume systems except those where a motor drives the volume control, which will be based on a multiposition switch. All other volume controls fall short!

4. The preamp will be built with a custom wire and if not handwired, then will sport custom materials in the circuit board (not FR4 IOW).

5. It will have the very best caps and the very best caps are Teflon.

6. The signal path will be simple.

7. The outboard power supply will be heavily regulated.

These 7 features are essential! This should help you rule out some of the non-players.