Ayre K-5xe preamp? How close to K-1xe?

Has anyone compaired the Ayre K-5xe to the highly respected K-1xe? I am considering both but haven't heard them yet. I like the size and weight of the K-5xe, and the full featured remote, but if the K-1xe blows it away, I might go that way.
paul_music
I continue to struggle with the idea of getting the phono board. Based on what I've read, vinyl looks like it's a pain to take care of. I am also turned off by the selection of music (or lack thereof) in the genres I tend to enjoy. I've also seen some very outrageous prices for some LPs vs CDs. The ability to quickly fast forward to the track I want or rewind to hear it again without getting up appeals to me in a big way. However, I must admit, I have never used anything other than a CD player in my system so perhaps my lack of experience with LPs falls into the, "ignorance is bliss category." Perhaps someone can enlighten and convert me.
I, for one, have never had vinyl out of my system, but I'm an old f@rt and had a rather large collection of LPs to begin with. I'd be the first to admit, though, that it is indeed a pain. Unless you're willing to spend a fair amount of time with setup, maintenance, and cleaning, don't do it - really. And yes, new vinyl can get comparatively expensive.

Do you have a friend who owns a good turntable setup? Seems to me that a great way to compare would be to beg/borrow/purchase both the LPs and CDs of the same material and compare. Sure, you might say "it's not for me" and have a few unneeded LPs on your hands, but compare that with the cost of making the financial commitment of table, arm, and cartridge and it starts to look pretty cheap. You can always sell the things for 80% of what you paid for them. We LP lovers are suckers for "played once" ads :-)
Vinyl IS a pain in the a**, but even so, and w/ potentially limited selection- it can take musical bliss to a whole new level. Even w/ my Linn LP12/Rega RB-600/Benz Micro Ace w/ stock cable set-up ($1500 w/ table being used), I can often enjoy lp's more than the same cd recordings on my Ayre Cx7e, a great cdp at 3K. Keep in mind, though, that if you were to get a Linn, you'd need someone skilled in its set-up. Also, a good isolation rack is necessary for most turntables, and adds to the price. I think there's a turntable including tonearm, the Pro-ject RM-9.1, for $1500 which is supposed to be quite a good new entry; Rega also makes great starting tables. For someone w/ a high-end system wishing to give vinyl a "fair shake," I'd suggest 2K for table, arm, and cart (1500 for tbl/arm- VPI scout is also supposed to be quite good, maybe 5-700 for cartridge, plus a beginning lp cleaning system, plus lp's ordered from Acoustic Sounds or Music Direct (check out their websites- the first company is especially helpful) or from ebay, or even regional stores. I've been able to get at least 2/3rds of my classical, rock, jazz, r & b, world music, and such on lp's. If you're willing to pay5-7K or more for a set-up, you begin to get into sound that in many respects no cd player I know of at any price can beat (on most recordings).
I added the V-1XE to go with my P-5XE and K-1XE a couple weeks ago. This combo of Ayre gear is very, very, good. The best SS I have heard. Rich, smooth, lots of texure in the midrange and great bass. I am going to add the CX-7E for redbook. I also am saving for the MX-R amps right now. Then I am done. If the V-1XE had a little more power for my Thiels I would be done right now. If its possible I would try to audition the V-1XE in your system with the other Ayre gear. It has made the biggest change of all the Ayre gear I've added as far as pulling everything together.