Amp recommendation for AKG K1000's headphones?

I recently gave into temptation & picked up a pair of AKG K1000's. I've wanted a pair for ages & with their retirement there was no time like the present. Now comes the interesting part of finding an amp that pairs well with them :)

But before making the leap into uncharted territory [for me] I was curious what amps might be worth an audition? To level-set -- ideally this will become a dedicated headphone rig, so the scope of this decision doesn't need to account for synergy with my existing front-end gear.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
bish
Swapwalker -

Fortunately size/weight is somewhat less critical -- so I do have a bit of flexibility. Thanks again for the tip.
Robm321 -

Will do.

I've located someone in town that has the Cary 300 SEI. I figure this will provide some point of reference for a 300B based rig.

I'm also trying to track down an ASL to compare with the Cary. The ASL Layla 845DT is an interesting alternative to other 300B based offerings. If nothing else it certainly challenges my position that aesthetics aren't a consideration (as pictured w/the tube cage on). :)

Thanks!
Bish
Yes, tube amps sound great and I second the Cary 300SEI. If you prefer SS, the McCormack Micro Integrated Headphone amps (particularly with Steve McCormack's ungrades like Rev A) sounded very good. Tho' I have not tried the Channel Islands Headphone amplififier, reviews suggest they might be worth a listen (www.ciaudio.com). Happy searching!
Thanks again for everyone's assistance. I've listened to the 300 SEI & the results were most impressive. I'm still perusing the market a bit -- however without question the Cary is one of, if not the finest, integrated tube amplifier I've ever auditioned.

Cheers,
Bish