Can anyone suggest a good 2-channel amp for $1500

Conquered home theater, but want to set up a decent semi-reference 2 channel system. I'm welcoming suggestions for a decent 2-channel amp putting out around 100WPC RMS that would go for ~$1500 US or less (preferrably less). I am considering tube amps, but want to know what those advantages are over a solid state amp.

Thanks...
williamhaneke
You should post the speakers you are going to use with the amp as they might have a synergy with a particular SS amp.
McCormack DNA 0.5 goes for about $800. You can bank the rest or start on the upgrade path with SMC Audio (Steve Mc., the designer, now modifies his old amps).
55dok asks a good question...what speakers are you using, room size, what are your musical tastes, and why are you interested in tube amps that put out 100wpc (that's allot of tubes)? There are some fine tube integrateds in your price range but I don't know of any putting out 100wpc. You'd likely be looking at a Pentode design, or a whole bunch of big, hot tubes in Push/Pull. Plenty of fun for certain types of music, but listen for yourself and see if SS doesn't do that kind of music better to your ears.

If you'd prefer generalizations; I do like my Portal Panache which is right in your price range if you get one of the demo amps that Joe Abrams sells here on A'gon with the same trial period as new, and I believe the same warranty. The demo is $1295 last time I saw one. $1700 new. Used ones come up now and then for less. Pretty versatile amps with the handfull of speakers I've thrown at it. Put it on your short list - highly recommended, but do pay attention to synergy as has been suggested.

Marco
I think the PS Audio HCA amps are pretty amazing and can be had for about half your budget.