Burned out hi fi salesman

Have any of you come across a burned out hi fi salesman? I was at my local dealer the other day and was talking to one of the sales guys. In my opinion he is damaged goods! According to him he has had all the equipment at different times one could imagine. He said that he came to the conclusion that all hi fi components are within 5 % of each other in terms of sound (All things being equal). The fact that he currently does not even OWN a stereo is not a good sign! How can you relate to your customers if you're not even into hi fi yourself? I would advise anyone to ask the sales person they are dealing with questions about his or her preference with repects to the equipment they themselves own. As I say, the gentleman I talked to was non caring, un-involved, bitter, etc... Don't make hi fi choices beased on the "Expert"advise of an individual such as this. The lesson for me? Ask questions about your sales person first........then ask about the various equipment! You'll have fun and make better choices! Cheers,

Nocaster.
nocaster
I cant agree with the 5% thing. I cant say whether equipment is that close and set up is difficult, but I have heard a huge difference in the way stuff in salons sound. I have heard very "high end" stuff sound awful and modest stuff sound damn good.
As for experience with sales people goes, complaining now is like beating a dead horse. Plenty of horror stories here if you search.
I too kind of agree with the 5% thing if the gear is competantly setup. I have heard the diminishing returns myself and at this point, I let functionality and looks play a role, in addition to sound quality of course, in the final decision making process.
Perkadin,

My impression from reading Aaudiogon is that it is the hobby, buying, selling, and tweeking, that is of most interest. Music is only the by-product. As Programmergeek suggests, it is blending of equipment that makes the magic, and I suspect that's right for him (or her). Is there a 5% difference among cables? I don't think so. But I agree there is more than a 5% difference between a Radio Shack mini speaker and a Wilson Sophia, and not just 5% worth of preference.

db
Yep, I agree on the 5% thing too once you get to a certain level of gear. When I ran a High End Store, I would sometimes go Months without owning a system as I was never home. I was always at the store and could listen to whatever I wanted.

It is easy to get burned out working retail.

KiD
Bottom line, retail is not what it used to be and the internet has just thrown most salesmen over the edge. Most people want to pick your brain, then go buy it used on this website or others. I had one guy call me after 2 years of no communications to pick my brain about good cheap DVD players for around $200 (when I didnt sell any). He had not and still has not bought anything from me. Any professional consultants out there in other industries? Try doing your job for free......would burn you out pretty quick.