Burned out hi fi salesman

Have any of you come across a burned out hi fi salesman? I was at my local dealer the other day and was talking to one of the sales guys. In my opinion he is damaged goods! According to him he has had all the equipment at different times one could imagine. He said that he came to the conclusion that all hi fi components are within 5 % of each other in terms of sound (All things being equal). The fact that he currently does not even OWN a stereo is not a good sign! How can you relate to your customers if you're not even into hi fi yourself? I would advise anyone to ask the sales person they are dealing with questions about his or her preference with repects to the equipment they themselves own. As I say, the gentleman I talked to was non caring, un-involved, bitter, etc... Don't make hi fi choices beased on the "Expert"advise of an individual such as this. The lesson for me? Ask questions about your sales person first........then ask about the various equipment! You'll have fun and make better choices! Cheers,

Nocaster.
nocaster
It was tough working for Salon 1 Audio.Lucky for my employer, I had been through most of what he carried and my system was bought through him.Only a few tweeks and cables sparked my interest.But I was pretty much on my own up in Wisconsin,so my audio system was a constant companion.
Everyone has good days/bad days.Fortunately,the theme of truthful variations kept me sane and my customers happy.
Just as in audio-synergy counts.
I agree whole heartedly with that statement. I've listened to alot of gear, and 5% is about the degree of difference I've seen. Maybe a bit more when you put something like an electrostat next to a woofer/tweeter type speaker. But once a certain level of quality is achieved, the diminishing returns sets in fast. I'm surprised there isn't a higher burn out rate with salesmen, if I spent all day trying to convince someone to drop thousands on a new shade of grey I might get frustrated as well. It's a fun hobby as long as you stay within a comfortable spending limit, and have realistic expectations. Another thing I like to do is have a few beers or a glass or two of wine when I listen, it really helps you forget about the gear and focus on the music. That's why we are all here right?
I have recently sold all my SS equipment for Tube equipment. Every one that I have dealt with, Cain and Cain Eastern Electric, and parts connexion were not only Enthusiastic but brimming with information on how to get the most from my equipment. Bill from Morningstar Audio is a wonderful person to deal with and I can Highly recommend him. Bob at the Elusive Disk is a great person to work with, he seems to know a lot about just about everything. Perhaps going to the RETAIL store is Dead not because of the internet but because of the LACK of Real Enthusiasm. But I don’t think this is just limited to hi-fi, I have been to a lot of places that just seem to care less if you’re a customer or not, and to those stores I just say NO!
I cant agree with the 5% thing. I cant say whether equipment is that close and set up is difficult, but I have heard a huge difference in the way stuff in salons sound. I have heard very "high end" stuff sound awful and modest stuff sound damn good.
As for experience with sales people goes, complaining now is like beating a dead horse. Plenty of horror stories here if you search.
I too kind of agree with the 5% thing if the gear is competantly setup. I have heard the diminishing returns myself and at this point, I let functionality and looks play a role, in addition to sound quality of course, in the final decision making process.