Bob Crump passes away over holiday.

128x128tabl10s
Some good posts here, notably Fred's and Harmonia's. Since I was closer than most to Bob, I may be able to offer some additional information.

Bob had been married, I think once, but after that ended he chose less formal arrangements. If I recall correctly, Donna and "Crazy Ilene" were two who followed, the latter referred to in Fred's post.

Bob was very fond of his two black cats, Stan and Fred. Freddie was a 'fraidy cat, hiding in the closet or under the bed from strangers, but Bob always claimed Stan must have been part dog, the way he would walk right up to you or sit next to you on the couch while listening. Stan was small, I think around 9 lbs., while Freddie was about double his size - Bob described them as identical twins, but that Freddie was "much more identical than Stan". Bob was very sad to have to put his buddy Stan to sleep late last year.

Bob also had to cope with his mother's death earlier this year, although he knew it was only a matter of time before she would pass on. Although he hadn't been in touch with her on a frequent basis, her passing was difficult for him.

What may have been one of the highest points in Bob's life was Misty River performing live "unplugged" at CES 2004 at his room. Anyone who attended that annual pizza and beer party knew something rare had occurred: a party with a wide range of notable audio personalities and people from all over, good food and drink, and a fabulous music performance where you could just about hear a pin drop as the audience was spellbound. Bob was clearly beside himself that night. Any time that night was mentioned, Bob beamed with pleasure like a joyous child.

Bob's health problems of the past year, beginning with a stroke whose effects were observable at CES 2005, increased as time went on. Sad to say, his ability to complete and ship product ground to a halt as he spent more and more time sleeping. He had reduced his coffee consumption to virtually nil, but according to Fred his smoking had greatly increased. Bob's brother said he weighed 481 lbs. at time of death, which although he was 6'3" and was large boned, is very high.

Bob looked forward to moving to Eugene, Oregon, having visited there a few months before his stroke and wanting to get out of Houston and go to a place with a more laid back lifestyle. "Skinny hippie women" and folk music in coffee houses were much to Bob's liking.

In what turned out to be his final weeks, Bob had some memory issues and admitted to me that he did. I urged him to see a doctor, but knowing how stubborn he could be and not wanting to push him too hard, there was only so much I could do. Due to circumstances beyond my control he didn't make it to the neurologist a doctor friend (and fellow Blowtorch owner) referred him to. I'm certain that trip would have saved his life, at least for the time being.

All of that said, Bob lived life to the fullest. He really got pleasure from music and enriching people's lives through his products, his enthusiasm, his good nature and sense of humor, and his willingness to help. We're all a little poorer without Bob.

Rest in peace, my friend.

Brian Walsh
Well......'splains why I had not heard from him in a while. I always razzed him about living in Houston, as it was to neither of our likings. I escaped and lived to tell about it. Too bad Bob didn't.

People always ask "Why are all your friends such characters?"

Because life is more fun when you experience it with characters. We now have one less to share the ride with.
I would like to thank Brian and Fred for their efforts to help Bob. You both were friends when that was a difficult thing to be to Bob. Bob was my business mentor and I had hoped that we would be neighbors in Eugene. I can just see the big guy with a skinny hippie woman sitting on the front porch drinking Peets Fancy Ethiopian coffee together. RIP Bob.
JUST saw this and am shocked. Bob was a truly good guy. He will be missed by MANY.

I will relate a story that I hope will be of interest to more than just me. Several years ago, when I had gotten back into two-channel audio, I was visiting a shop in Berkeley, California. Two guys were in the shop milling about and talking to the guys working there. One said he was there to pick up a copy of Stereophile because he did not want it seen delivered to his house anymore. :-)

The two of them struck up a conversation with me and were very pleasant and offered me a couple of suggestions regarding some questions I had. At the time I thought to myself that these guys knew more than anyone in this shop, or most any shop I'd been in, for that matter. Very unusually, I did not introduce myself, nor did either of the two. When they walked out of the shop, the owner said, Great guys, huh? - or something to that effect. I said, yeah, do they live around here? He said, you didn't know that those guys were Bob Crump and John Curl?

Later, I had several conversations with Bob and he joined a "cartel" of four of us that pooled in money on a Wally Azimuth Tool when he could have just bought one himself.

RIP, Bob!