Opinions on the "TACT" sonic signature?

Need to attenuate the bass in a high end system and having trouble finding opinions from anyone who's actually heard a TACT preamp. Surprisingly, neither the tact or rives forums were of help(kind of scary).The one opinion I've gotten was "fastinating sound, but too clinical or choppy for everyday listening. Robert Harley and other writers have used the "once you hear it, it's hard to go back" line, but somehow I don't think they bought one. Anyone heard one? FYI, I don't do much vinyl and would be using it with a transport and possibly an outboard D/A. THANKS!
autoll
What other equipement do you have?

I am using my Tact 2.2x with the modified Powersupply (not the latest version) and it is truely amazing especially for the money. I also used it with a M2150 (bargain component!) but also after living with Lamm amps and Rowland Preamp they didn't live up to it. But now here is the problem, the Tact 2.2x is still crazy cool (I used both DAC cards at one time with excellent results) and so I've kept it to clean up my Squeezbox 2 (streaming FLAC/WMA collection and internet radio) and now I'm using a Theta Gen VIII (DAC/Preamp) to get more resolution out of my system into Theta Citadel Amps.

I still prefer pure path for critical listening (but my room is serverly treated (which by the way I used my Tact measuring to remove and locate treatments and speakers..) )Plus my Sub allows for correction for +/- peaks/nulls so I don't have to use the Tact... But I imagine that I will eventually figure out how to make the Tact 2.2x cook... it's all about time and setup!

Check out the Theta Gen VIII which is a combo preamp/DAC with analog inputs.. Very musical! (basically just like my Rowland Synergy IIi but without the expense of the extra interconnects! Then Get a Tact 2.2x with the modified powersupply and put that inline from your transport and just use the graphic eq to measure and correct the bass peaks (don't push up the nulls, instead move your seating position and your speakers as needed to minimize the nulls at the listening position.)

Good luck!
Chris

PS my favorite thing about the Tact's eq memories so I can reduce the brightness/highs on some of my favorite rock and roll recording that SUCK! now my music collections just increased in size because I can listen to these in the house not just in the car!
I used to have the DAC/digital pwramp a few yrs back but w/out the room correction 2.2 so this feedback strictly based on that unit...

I had a ML transport (37?) into the TACT which directly drove ProAc Response 5 speakers. Simple set up.

As noted above, very clean, transparent, dead black silent, but as u suspect a tiny bit weak on bass and yes on the "cool" side of things. At times it did have that glassy yet smooth character, but only a touch.

I miss the unit though I have moved on. One of the key reasons for the chg was due to the DAC's (& still does not, I believe) inability to directly decode DSD. And as I upgraded my front end (including the transport etc) the TACT was let go. But boy do I regret it. I prefer my current set up BUT I should have kept it around for a second system.
I tried one a few weeks ago and didn't care for it. It was too smooth and clinical for my tastes. However, it is a very useful tool for analyzing speaker and room interface. As with any significant purchase of high end electronics, try before you buy. Find a dealer who will provide a tryout period. It may be just the ticket for you.
I ownded a Tact 2.2x. It did a good job with bass correction. That was it. If I needed active bass correction Velodyne DD 10's with room correction. And at have a pure mid's and high's.

With the Tact music sounded very computerized, with out any hint of being natural acoustic music. I hate to offend others who own this piece but, put if this piece is in your system, your really missing out.

The day after I sold it I swicted to vinyl.

Apples and oranges. My tube pre and vinyl rig make this preamp sound like a Bose Lifesyle System.
Try to find a z-systems RDP-1 or RDQ-1 digital parametric EQ. Digital in/out and as nearly transparent as they come. Very flexible, too. I do not know if they are still produced but you might find a used one.

Kal