Best phono preamp? Want world class the best

I recently started to listen to vinyl, my set up is clear audio emotion table/arm grado cartridge. For phono stage I am using an ear834 deluxe.I was happy with what I was hearing on my merlins driven by sim w-5. Until I brought my ear to a show room to compare to new components, on first listening it appeared the same but then I realized there was a sense of life like sound on his $7000.00 martinson phono. This is just to high of a price for me. I am seeking to get the best sound out there, the martinson is solid state so I realized I don't have to go with tubes. My budget is up to $2000.00 for used, BUT I want the best sound possible. I will be upgrading table and cartidge soon.
pedrillo
Pedrillo,

Where'd you hear the Martinson? I have heard that it's supposed to be very good.

Evan
Pedrillo, I'm sure the Clearaudio is an excellent turntable, but there's something out-of-whack about your question: you shouldn't be looking for "the best" phono preamp in the world for a $1000 turntable, that is, unless you're planning to greatly upgrade it in the near future. In fact, even your $2000 new/used budget seems far too high for that level of gear.

If I were you, I'd be looking more in the $1000/used category, or new if that's your preference. Personally-speaking, my VPI Aries 2 plus arm cost around $4K new, and I mated it with a used BAT VK-P10 for around $1400--that is, less than half the cost of the 'table.

Believe it or not, I swear that I was going to recommend the EAR, until I looked at your post again and realized that you already have it! I would suggest not comparing your components to what you hear at audio salons, which is mated with different equipment and tweaked/modded to the max, often by the designers themselves. With those standards, you'll *never* be satisfied.

So I suggest you stick with the EAR, which is a very fine piece of equipment, and learn to enjoy it on its own terms. I'd guess that you wouldn't get the same sound you heard at the store even with a $7000 phono amp. You know what they say about the grass being greener on the other side? Well, it's just as true of audio.
Pedrillo, sorry: I missed your comment about upgrading your setup soon. Nonetheless, I still recommend that you stick with the EAR for now: 1. you need to know what the replacement 'table is before making decisions on the preamp, rather than the other way around, and 2. you may *still* find that the EAR is your best bet, even with an upgraded setup. My analogy to my own system applies with equal force here, even if you're thinking about a multi-kilobuck turntable.

Take it easy! :-)