SET for Orchestral , Big Band etc.

I've always heard how suited SET amps are for vocals, chamber music, jazz ensembles, etc. And, I listen to this type of music a lot. Which is why I've decided to move to this type of system. However, after reading those opinions, I'm inferring that people are implicitly saying that these amps would NOT do as well for large orchestral or big band jazz music which I also listen to a lot of. Currently, when I listen to a symphonic piece and there is a large crescendo punctuated with a tripple forte accent, I can feel it with a big umpf! It's chilling. Will I hever have that with a SET system? Will I need a small sub-woofer? I thought sub-woofers were not very musical and used largely in HT setups. My new speakers will be much smaller than my current ones due to my small room (approx 11x13). Thanx for your thoughts.
pawlowski6132
While I don't like paralleled output tube amps, I agree with Larryi that PP amps can give you the power you need for mid-efficiency speakers in the mid to high 90s efficiency.
Thanx for all the great feedback. I went ahead and bought a Cary CAD 300SEI (Sophia 300b). For awhile, I'll be listening to headphones only (Senn HD650s). Speaker selection now is wide open. Actually, it's probably not. I have a really dinky room, approx 13x11. I'm sure there are only a few speakers that are Full Range (or should I consider monitor and sub?), highly sensitive, and work well close to the walls. Oh yeah. And around $1,500. So, selecting the few that meet my criterial should be easy. Having your choice of 50 speakers that will work is probably a harder decision. (Read: sour grapes)
A good paralleled single-ended amp will have more tone integrity than an equivalent PP amp, any day. Now, on the other hand, both can be designed and built badly, so variance is the order of the day.

Phil
I use an 845 SET putting out 17 watts into Living Voice Avatars. I like all music, but if anything have gravitated to Opera and large orchestral music with this combo, they sound glorious. If you have tube friendly speakers 94db plus, with no dips into low impedence, IMO 7 watt 300B's will do fine for small scale Jazz, chamber music etc. A 17 to 20 watt SET will be perfect for the larger scale music, with appropriate speakers. Of course more and more manufacturers are bringing out "tube friendly" speakers. Look at the interesting industry SET review on www.6moons.com
I am not saying the SS super amps won't give you better base, perhaps dynamics, but they can't give what a SET will.
Phil, quite true. I have heard both SETs and PPs that I could not stand, but PP does give you more power.