Reliability of Cary Audio Products

I'm considering adding a second (all tube) system for my home office. Amongst the integrated amps that are being considered is the Cary SLI 80. A friend, who is also a long term retailer of audio products, suggested that Cary has a poor reliability record. He hasn't sold Cary for a long while, and from what I've read on Audiogon, he may be out of touch with Cary products. Comments from Cary owners would be appreciated.

John
johnrob
I've owned 3 different Cary products. 2 never malfunctioned at all. My SLAM-100 monoblocks blew a ton of fuses at which point the dealer changed a resistor or something (for free). A capacitor went after a few years, at which point I upgraded to the previously unavailable copper film caps (nice improvement!). The dealer did that upgrade for pretty cheap. Since then, no malfunctions except the rare blown fuse. And these are on at least 4 - 5 hours a day, sometimes way more. I guess I'd say that if you buy from a dealer you can expect very responsive customer service should it be necessary. I don't know what people's experience is dealing directly with Cary (if they bought used for example).
You'd think that after all these years Dennis Had probably knows how to design tube equipment! If their stuff was that unreliable - and I've heard the charge too - they wouldn't still be around. IMHO.
I have a Cary V12-R with the oil cap upgrade and I have had no issues what so ever! The amp is fantastic.
I have owned a number of Cary products (new and used) since 1996. I have never had a problem requiring service with any of them. Not even a blown fuse.
I've owned two Cary cd players and the Cary SLI-80 for some time now. I have not had reliability problems, and my research on the net prior to making the purchases did not reveal a pattern of reliability problems.
Art