Attention Sonic Frontiers owners.....

Hi, I have recently been corrected of a mistake regarding the Sonic Frontiers Line series pre/amps and Power Series of amps. I was always informed that the most important tube spots for these products was the rear most LV1, V1 rear positions. After trying a little experiment with my tube amp I became curious about a tube swap that I performed. I emailed SFI and I was then told of the circuit topology. It is broken down like this for the Line 2 and Power 2:
Line 2:
V1 and LV1 – Input buffer
V2 and LV2 – Gain stage
V3 and LV3 – Cathode follower
Power 2:
V1 and LV1 – input buffer
V2 and LV2 – voltage amplifier
V3 and LV3 – driver
V4 and LV4 – cathode follower.
I’ve since started using the gain stage slots for my better tubes and have been pleasantly surprised. I recommend that you try the same if you own one of these products. I'm not sure about the Line1+3 or the other power series of amps but I recommend you email SFI about them for more details.
Greg
gsselling
Hi Jim, wow, you've really dug into this with all of your might!!! This past week I took out my Siemens E188cc's from my amp and have been running both pairs in the LV1+2 and V 1+2 slots of the pre amp. I have found that they are much better paired like this while running all EH 6922's in the Power 2. I have ordered some more pairs of them to give them a shot in the amp to see what kind of results that would bring. Yesterday I finally got around to doing some room treatments in the way of Auralex absorption panels and some of their bass traps and the improvements that has brought is astounding. I will post more on all of this at a later time and I'll put up some pictures on system here.
Regards
Greg
I have the SF power 2 amp and SF says that the 2 front 6922 run hot. Had anyone experienced the capacitors under the 2 front tubes got hot and the cap. the labels pealed off?
Dear Gsselling,
I have the Line 2SE+ Preamplifier.
As you saw the front line (L3 and LV3) is the less important and really don´t affect the sound. So the problem are line 1 and 2. Both affect the sound, so I bought quads Siemens E88CC and quads Amperex 6922PQ White label made in USA. (for the line 3 I use a pair of Reflektor 6H23NEB)
I tried the four Siemens and then the four Amperex. For me, I prefer the sound of the Amperex but the Siemens have less noise and microphonics.
So, finnally I combined the Amperex with the Siemens. I put the Siemens in the line 2 and the Amperex in the line 1. So I have an identical tube set to replace them in the future.
For me this combination is the best. Althought I have a very little more texture in voices with the 4 Amperex I have less noise and more analitical with the Siemens in the Line 2.
I hope this help you.