Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
stereo cables : bicycle handlebar tape

if you wake up one morning and have no inspiration to ride, change the handlebar tape.

Your bicycle will be newer and faster and more exciting then ever.

And the best part, you now look forward to riding.
It solely depends on where you're at in your "system evolution" and how much passion you have for going to the "next level". The "next level" may be of no consequence to 99% but to you, it can be everything! Listen to no one. Judge for yourself!
These cables from Schitt have no hype at all :)

Beyond Just Technology: SuperUltraHyperTechnology
PYST cables are made from only the finest 6-nines Unobtanium™ alloy, molecularly assembled in our Alternate Universe™ reality-distortion tesseract field , using a secret geometry reverse-engineered from crashed UFOs, painstakingly smuggled out of Area 51 by deep-cover operatives. Performance is further enhanced by the use of a QuantConnect™ quantum-entangled pair of transmission interfaces, held at absolute zero by our exclusive Stasis Field™ technology. The cables are then wrapped in NanoAeroCap™, a nanotechnology-enabled aerogel anti-capacitance insulation system, featuring Fractal Interleaved Geometry™ to create negative inductance for maximum audio transmission quality.

funny!
Hello, again.

I posted to this thread back in May only to fall silent again. I have made two changes to my system since I last posted. The first is earth shatteringly big (for me). I replaced my PSB Synchrony Two speakers (WAF issues, room issues) with a pair of ProAc Response D Two speakers. H O L Y Cow, Batman! What a difference! I am in love.

I tried a pair of Kimber Kable 8TC cables that fell flat....very flat after a thorough break in. I returned them. Then, I tried Morrow Audio SP5 biwired cables (5 day burn in). I immediately noticed a big improvement in sound stage, clarity, bass, etc. Piano music sounds great now. {Sure, a big part is the new speakers, but the SP5 cables make a real difference.

Have any of you tried Morrow Audio speaker cables, and what was your experience? Has anyone tried Clear Day Cables?

What else is out there that I don't have to spend $1200 on?
I honestly think many audiophiles people spent far too much on cables. Even though I use rather basic cables mostly I probably fall into the same category. I my current cables:

Interlinks: 930 (Heimdall 2 phono + 2*Pink Faun)
Speaker: 500 (6 feet NBS active IV)
powercords: 750 (NBS monitor IV, NBS Dragonfly)

That is 2180euro spend of my current cables. The retail price of my entire system is about 25000euro (I did not play close to that)including cables. If you look at it like that I spent far too much on cables. I think about 5 to 8% of the system costs should be on cables.

Why do people spend so much on a simple piece of copper wire? I can honestly not tell. Yes cables can have a minor influence on the sound quality. But it is rather marginal and for digital BNC cables I am not sure if there is any difference between a 50 and 5000 euro cable.