Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
I'm almost afraid to post this, but here goes...

I just started (okay, restarted) this hobby after a 25 year hiatus. I just upgraded my stock power cable (looks just like a computer power cable) to a Shunyata Venom 3.

I can hear a big difference. My speakers sound better to me. I have not compared them to a $3000.00 cable. I don't need to do that. For the time being, I am quite smitten by this cable's contribution to my enjoyment. Perhaps, as I progress down this road of improvements, I will try another, better cable, but not now.

I'm using simple 14 gauge speaker wire. I am told such and such speaker cable will have a huge impact. Since switching out my power cable had a noticeable effect, I am now willing to entertain the idea of better speaker cables.

Just my humble thoughts.

Regards...
Don't be afraid Mresseguie, you are correct, it sounds better. The differences are not subtle either. So enjoy your new cable while you can, the upgrade bug is about to bite you.
@ Mresseguie, once bitten, Its over!, there gos all the money!However, given very good cables the reward is huge!, cheers!
05-19-13: Mresseguie

I just started (okay, restarted) this hobby after a 25 year hiatus. I just upgraded my stock power cable (looks just like a computer power cable) to a Shunyata Venom 3.

I can hear a big difference.

Oh-oh......Alice has just fallen down the rabbit hole! Buckle up for a long, strange trip! LOL!

In all seriousness, I find it interesting that a power cord started this process for you. For most, myself included, finding changes in cables comes first, followed by experimenting with power cords. I concur that power cords are a trip unto themselves....welcome to Wonderland!! LOL!!