Cables more hype than value?

What are the opinions out there?
tobb
****Let us pray that 'early' shorter is not anything like 'current' shorter!****

I thought you said (in a different thread) that you had some early Shorter? So, you should know the answer; even if I don't agree with your implication.

****The mere mortal cables I mentioned, I was asking can you ID them when they are compared to each other? Or does a guru cable have to be involved?****

No, guru cable does not have to be involved. Just the two cheapos.
Irv, ****As for the rest of your post, it is completely analogous to the discussion of spirituality when discussing evolution****

We actually agree on something. But, the mistake that evolutionists make is believing that evolution precludes creationism. Clearly, this is not the place to have THAT debate, but I agree the analogy is there.

You may find this to be interesting reading; even if, as I suspect, you will vehemently disagree. I think it illustrates aspects of this debate perfectly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/opinion/31iht-edbrown.1.5943349.html
It seems that every one missed my post!3-10-13 @chayro,the main part of the post was directed @ rok2id,whatever!I will say my facts again that is the forum buster for non believers,Hi Irvrobinson,I believe you hear just fine!,you have after market high-end audio cables on your system,obviously you had to hear a difference with the cables you have versus lowes hardware store brand cables,I believe this,you bought the high-end cables you have!,The samething can be said about Rok2id,He has the Beldin Blue jean cables,HE hears fine as well!again,Obviously he had to hear a difference between the Blue jean beldin cables versus lowes hardware store brand of cables,again,I believe this!,He bought the blue jean beldin cables,It does not take science to see between the lines here!,they hear cable sound differences just fine!however,I believe they take the stance that they do, is they do not agree with the high cost of cables such as mine!,believe me when I say this,I do not agree with the high cost of cables myself!,Irv and rok,unfortunally I had to pay the cost of admission!the pay off is incredible to say the very least!,no not all high priced cables are worth the money,I agree!the same can be said about componets,lord knows I have seen my share of modest priced componets,speakers,cables,etc..blow the doors off of some multi thousands of dollar equipment out there,its not common,but it happens,to tell you two gentlemen the truth,I got very lucky that my cables are in the few out there that are the best available,I am blessed from God above to have a system period that I have, and I thank him daily for what he has given me!,the synergy between the system and the cables I have,to me of course,Is flawless!,I know the both of you gentlemen do not want to believe what I am about to say next,My sound would not be possible without the cables I have!,very emotional,chills running rampid all over a listeners body with tears of joy flying about,The music is so real sounding!IMHO!,the reason I expressed this to you gentlemen is I have never had eanybody over my house after the listening experience of my system that believe cables do not make a difference!A toast to all,cheers!

You might consider reducing your caffeine intake. :-)
So we are all the same, we all hear what we choose to believe. Believe you will hear differences, and you will hear differences. Believe that you will not hear differences, and you will not hear differences.

Sort of, though you're turning up the contrast a bit much. I don't know about the "we're all the same" part. I think that expectations can play a significant role when the differences are subtle or . Of course, I understand that some of you believe these differences aren't subtle.
Some people have more specific expectations than others. When you are listening for a very specific sound, you are more likely to note any differences. That alone might account for it. That and/or the fact that not all wires necessarily sound very different. There is not a whole lot of difference in design and concept behind many.